A formal shirt that's not a sensory nightmare???

Hi, 

Does anyone have any recommendations where in the UK to buy a button-down white business/formal shirt that's comfortable for someone with sensory issues to wear? I can stand most casual shirt fabrics, just not the type usually found in formal wear - e.g. thick cotton, stiff starchy collars, etc. I expect something very lightweight would do. I also have the problem of having quite a broad chest, so shirts often come up short on the arms. So, I also need a longer sleeve to reach beyond the cuff of a suit.

I've looked everywhere, but nothing fits the bill. Any advice is welcome!

• Have you tried Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, a friend has a couple of these, they're a little more expensive than something from a supermarket, but not outrgeously so and they're very well made and come in a range fo styles and fabrics, he has a couple twill ones which are a thicker fabric, but soft.

• I find white is a difficult one with more formal shirts. Mainly because the thinner cotton shirts with little to no finish on are super thin and end up see through, so if you've got tattoos they're easily visible and make me feel self conscious.

I've got a fairly broad chest and shoulders so I find getting a size chest that fits means a waist that's like a tent, so often go for the slim fit ones and go slightly bigger, that works well.

There are some cotton shirts that aren't too thin, but A lot of brands put a huge amount of finishing on the 100 percent cotton shirts so they feel as horrible as nylon ones. Even after many washes they're still stiff.

I've randomly found some shirts in  H&M (while hanging around waiting for wife and daughters in there!) which are a good balance, they dress up ok with a suit jacket and tie if needed but still have a nice  casual feel as they're cotton and linen without any polyester and starchyness. They do various colours and options between cotton and a cotton linen mix. Worth a look!

• Weird suggestion, but maybe try second hand? Formal dress shirts are kind of like Doc Martens, they need to be "broken in" before they start being comfortable to wear. If you buy a pre-loved, pre-worn shirt and toss it in the wash then it may be what you're looking for? I've found the tightness and stiffness of shirts goes away through wear so as long as you can find a shirt in your desired size/material you might have a better shot? Plus it'll be cheaper and more sustainable! I'd recommend Depop or Vinted :]

• Is it the stiffness itself that is bothering you, because I expect that there are styles of dress shirts that don't have the upturned collar.

The other thing to consider is mixed blend shirts, so I found some which have elastane components, which will have stretch with them. https://www.hawesandcurtis.co.uk/blue-fitted-slim-stretch-shirt-short-sleeve-cipma320-b01 

What's your budget. Because my first thought when reading this was a soft but stiff fabric, and then that turned me to some of the fabrics that traditionally are used in well shaped dresses. Here me out.

Some silks and satins can be stiff in a way needed to produce shape or collars, but while being softer than cotton. 

In terms of the sleeves, the part stretch fabric could help with that broad chest thing, and reduce the sleeve problem.

Or the high budget/high time option is custom, either by learning to sew yourself or paying someone else to sew for you.

There may be nothing in here you haven't thought of before. But there may be something helpful.