It is reasonable to expect SENCO to engage?

My son (9) is waiting for autism assessment. He is having some sessions with a clinical psychologist who feels he is very likely on the autistic spectrum, and I agree. One of the things which dysregulates him is noise, and school is hard for him in this regard. On the advice of the psychologist I have been asking the SENCO if sensory breaks could be possible. I explained in my email that his dysregulation has increased this term and that he has begun self-harming behaviour at home hitting himself very hard, sometimes with objects.  However she did not reply to me. The psychologist has then emailed twice too to ask if he could have a brief phone chat with her but she won’t reply to him either.  My son is very good at masking, and an extremely quiet child at school, so his needs are not perceived. In reality he is too anxious to ask a teacher for anything at all or to express anything about how he is feeling to them. 

Am I expecting too much from the school, given that he doesn’t yet have a diagnosis nor EHCP? I’m not sure how to proceed with school. I have made his class teacher aware, but no sensory breaks have been implemented. 

• If you are not getting anywhere, you can write to Ofsted. They might not formally investigate the complaint if you have not gone through the formal complaints procedure, but an email from Ofsted will get the school's attention. Talking to your local councillor might help, especially with an election pending. Finally, a "letter before action" from a solicitor is another effective way of getting the Head Teacher's attention.

The art of effective complaining is to get the recipient to realise that you are not going to go away, and it is going to be easier for them to address the problem than to have to keep answering complaints, especially multiple official complaints. Just make sure your complaint is justified, polite and explicit.

Informal approaches can often be successful. I had a colleague whose wheely bin went missing, and calls to the council depot proved fruitless. After several weeks, during yet another phone call to the depot she very sweetly said " I am friends with Councillor [ name of the Leader of the Council]  He lives in the next road, and I am sure he will let me put a black sack in his bin if I ask him."  A new bin was delivered the next morning.

• I have and am going through exactly the same.

My son is 9 too and as you said is seeing a therapist.

Basically you need to demand a meeting as they have to be pushed. Make a nuisance of yourself and let them know you’re not going away. We had a meeting in school but even my emails I have sent since get ignored, so I will just ask for another meeting until they get that they need to reply to my communications.

Keep pushing and there is always the local education authority if nothing happens. They have a duty of care even if your son isn’t diagnosed. 
    I do feel your pain as my son masks heavily which doesn’t help them recognise where he needs assistance.

good luck 

• I suggest you contact the Head Teacher. Say that you and the psychologist have been trying to contact the SENCO but have not had a response, and ask for a three-way with you, SENDCO and the Head. If a charted clinical psychologist says that your child is very likely on the autism spectrum, you should not need a formal diagnosis ... the school should start putting measures in place based on your child's needs, not a diagnostic 'label'.

• I'd call the school direct and ask for a meeting with SENCO and teacher. 

I'm my experience some schools/SENCOS are rubbish with SEN. 

You are not expecting too much