Gastro Intestinal...just a general discussion as it seems to be not looked into regarding autism

Hi I'm sure I'm not alone in that gastro intestinal issues have plagued my son since birth and he only got diagnosed with autism at 18 and he 24 now,  gastro intestinal issues seem to be a bit of a mystery concerning the connection with autism. We were always recieve sub par service from NHS and doctors  (sorry but it's true) it's like oh you got a tummy bug go away...that's it that's all you get no tests nothing. I've posted this to see what others experience is regarding GI issues are. I'm at the point now and he has asked me to do this so we will do it together..to radically change his diet..we already are healthy ie we don't do the take  out we dont do alchohol as he had a problem with that a while back and so cant have alcohol in the house and cook fresh meals 3 times at least in a week meals with veg in it  and dint eat meat etc but it's not enough he still has nausea and on occasion will vomit straight up wht he just ate. It would be interesting to hear other people's experience , has anyone had any improvement changing diet??

Parents
  • I've been working on this my entire life. I'm now 50.

I started out gluten free in my late 20s which helped some, but noticed I had problems with other ancient grains, I played around with a FODMAP diet and took a multi vitamin daily, as I was told most coeliacs do not absorb nutrients as well by a GP. 

In my mid 20's I started taking an immune boosting supplement with Reishi mushroom and astragalus. I since have discovered the Gut, Brain and Immune system are all connected, so boosting the immune system, maintaining a low-inflammatory diet (little to no refined sugar and no artificial sweetener), and most importantly - staying hydrated (mind pH), are all key to a healthy gut. 

Now 50, and after decades of working out health issues, here's my diet, and botany has become crucial:

No Grains except corn and GF oats. (corn is still a mystery, might be a veg and Oats have a different chemistry than all other grains).

No Brassicas (mustard family including rapeseed and broccoli - though every month or so I might have a properly pickled cabbage in apple cider vinegar, which will change the properties of it).

No Legumes/pulses/beans (including the peanut. However, the vanilla bean, cocoa bean and coffee bean are all botanical Seeds, not beans).

I eat meat daily, fish a few times per week, it's hard to get the nutrition we need without this -females even more than males. I have also found taking a non-vegan multi vitamin supplement is helpful along with a probiotic and herbal hormone boosters a few times per week. However, I have stopped eating meat and dairy in the same sitting and also take a low-dose of chlorella or seaweed. 

There are 2 types of fibre: soluble and non. I cannot digest non-soluble. So I get plenty of fibre from nuts, fruits and Daisy-family leaves. I have also found a nootropics compound with Lion's Mane and Reishi has been incredible for less stress and digestion (as the 2 are linked).

While I'm unclear as to what the difference is, it's been well documented that certain groups of people (one human race) can have adverse reactions to a crop which wouldn't have been available to their ancestry. We do know many vegetables in the modern diet are new. These are things which used to be animal fodder but have been genetically modified for human consumption - most of this I cannot consume. I also soak my oats and nuts which helps digestion and nullify "anti-nutrients" (something to have a look into). And then always try to support organic local faming. 

Hope this helps!

• Hi, have you found and solid link to Coeliac disease and autism? My father is Coeliac and I know it can be hereditary (& autism!). 

I have been vegetarian for 30 years now and not showing any signs of gluten intolerance.

I do get a lot of stomach pain but have always associated it with anxiety rather than diet (apart from alcohol which I know is a problem).

I cannot imagine all the chemicals/hormones in meat products will help - although the pesticides on crops are just as bad.

Government approved use of neonicotinoids again - it's almost as if they are TRYING to destroy everything...

• To my understanding, there's no conclusive evidence of what coeliac actually is. Most of us are figuring it out as we go along. I've seen some medical research from NZ which caused me to start looking into botany and biology. I eat mostly organic meat as I cannot actually chew non-organic chicken (I do know the body aids the ability to eat and digest what it needs, so I'm guessing there's a reason I cannot chew through it like I cannot chew through wood pulp).

If alcohol is a problem, is it all? I have low-blood pressure so if I have a glass of wine need to eat a good amount of salt with it, but also I steer clear of non-vegan wines. Vegan wines use a type of clay or pea protein (intolerance to peas and we're not meant to ingest bentonite clay). However, many might have serious inflammation issues with the sugars. 

I was once told my stomach pains were anxiety. While yes, stress is deadly, I sorted out what was causing anxiety from letting go of toxic relationships to sensory overload and then getting anti-anxiety tablets from the GP for more difficult days which are rare. One has to pay attention to everything from a good amount of exercise to our 'poo'! 

Thing is, if one is desensitised to a poisonous gas or not minding a sensory signal which feels 'dangerous' or repelling, over time, it adds up and there are serious health consequences. If you don't 'like' something, take notice of that and look into it further. Most likely there is a good reason. The rate of individuals going deaf and blind these days is mind-blowing, But, there is little oversight or accountability or concern on the noise levels, poor frequencies, inappropriate acoustics and along with this forcing the public to deal with unnatural lights causing ecological problems (see: lightaware.org). I spoke with a taxi driver who's friend in Africa with a Range Rover and goes hunting with only these new xenon flood lights: harsh enough to blind deer with the flick of a switch. Then he just walks up to them and does a quick deed - done with something sharp. Most also don't know about sonic weaponry, but there's a reason we have senses. Best to mind them!

• Tomorrow I may post what I've discovered as I've grown older, about reality and how it affects us but enough of 'me' today!

• The only reason I keep learning is because it's maddening. Erich Fromm's 'Sane Society' is a good one to look at. while humans have come a long way, it's a shame that living in congruity with our earth is often only for the wealthy... 

• Agreed we are so far removed from how we wouod have eaten...and we forget that even though time has.moved on large parts of our brains are still primitive and so we dont work well with a lot of the garbage that's sold as food.

• Absolutely stressless responsible for A LOT ..I believe it goes back to fact as primitive beings we have the fight or flight...and we or our bodies and brains respond to a lot of things in the modern age ie bright lights in a Supermarket or a fast car coming our way we react the way we did back.then like when the saber tooth tiger was coming..only the modern world expects us not to be bothered by any of those things but obviously w are and it isn't any good.

• I think you are correct on all points you make...another one is that they even found very strong links between Azhiemers and roads because when people literally "burn rubber" as they drive the micro particles go into the air etc which we breathe in etc which they think is linked to it. I think we live in a world that is not in tune with who we are as human beings ie we are exposed to things that are wy to harsh for us...but centuries pass and we become desensitised and then madness literally sets in or we exist in a society and live by rules and act in a insane way.

• We have hormonal shifts as we age. It could be good to find a herbal hormone boosting supplement. I take them being 50.

Could this explain my salt cravings?

YES. It's imperative you listen to this. A pinch of salt raw plus water can even do the trick. But it's important to have a good salt/sodium/magnesium/mineral intake. Bananas, red grape juice, citrus are all good for this. Higher pH spring water is good to supplement. smoked mackerel (I like mine with marmalade) and other salty fish is really helpful. 

I recommend bath salts as well (or the sea if you live near by), as we can intake salt through the skin. 

Reducing stress is really important. I started taking anti-anxiety meds as a GP told me it was that or a stroke. I don't take them daily - I first fixed my lifestyle, sensory problems and found I could boost GABA a bit daily with nootropics. But I do try to take one at least once a month or if I sense things getting beyond my control. 

Low blood pressure can make you feel more stressed or create difficulty breathing when the barometric pressure suddenly rises. High Air Pressure will be hard to breathe in for us - look into how deep sea divers manage this, but often it's not recommended those with low blood pressure dive. I always mind a better salt intake on these days. 

• I'm not a big wine fan but red wine really does help me sleep (a dangerous thing) I also have stupidly low blood pressure, am prone to fainting. Could this explain my salt cravings?

I'm happy to let go of my anxiety and sensory issues but it will require a one way ticket to the moon. I did have a moment of clarity a few years back when I realised exercise really does help my mood.

I am currently going to the eye hospital with possible Central Serous Retinopathy - a blind spot that can be caused by......stress hormone cortisol! So now it feels like I have to reduce stress or go blind, no pressure there then...

• As for chemicals, hormones, pesticides and GMOs - it all will have adverse health effects. I eat less than most, but aim for more nutrients. I also try to shop organic if I can, support local bee keeping, local farming and such. I spent a few years eating less meat and ended up with serious health problems. While we're all a little different (blood type diet is a good one to look into), we're still human: animal. I don't follow trends, but it does limit availability and create problems when everyone else does. 

What is happening with food sources is one part greed (companies shouldn't be allowed to own seeds or be able to sway law making to suit their profits) and one part genuine consideration for the effect not feeding 8 billion people would have. I'd like to learn to forage and not have to worry as much but here we are.

• As for chemicals, hormones, pesticides and GMOs - it all will have adverse health effects. I eat less than most, but aim for more nutrients. I also try to shop organic if I can, support local bee keeping, local farming and such. I spent a few years eating less meat and ended up with serious health problems. While we're all a little different (blood type diet is a good one to look into), we're still human: animal. I don't follow trends, but it does limit availability and create problems when everyone else does. 

What is happening with food sources is one part greed (companies shouldn't be allowed to own seeds or be able to sway law making to suit their profits) and one part genuine consideration for the effect not feeding 8 billion people would have. I'd like to learn to forage and not have to worry as much but here we are.

Children