Should we force it

My Son who’s seven was due to have his first swimming lesson after school today.  He’s had lessons before but always weekends. This is the first time he’s gone out after school, he rarely has before. Despite me preparing him that he was going swimming after school, he got anxious and refused to go. Should we have made him go or would it just create anxiety in the future? 

Parents
  • My Son who’s seven was due to have his first swimming lesson after school today.  He’s had lessons before but always weekends. This is the first time he’s gone out after school, he rarely has before. Despite me preparing him that he was going swimming after school, he got anxious and refused to go. Should we have made him go or would it just create anxiety in the future? 

Hi 

I had the exact same thing accept my son had moved up a group, his new teacher was quite loud and abrupt. I contacted the lady who is the head swimming coach and explained my son struggles with change and that he hadn’t really taken to his new coach. We changed to a different night with someone he was super comfortable with but it still took quite a few times to get him back into it. Swimming pools are a funny one really, I struggle with the ambient noise and really can’t concentrate. It could be a sensory thing for him as well. 

• My Son who’s seven was due to have his first swimming lesson after school today.  He’s had lessons before but always weekends. This is the first time he’s gone out after school, he rarely has before. Despite me preparing him that he was going swimming after school, he got anxious and refused to go. Should we have made him go or would it just create anxiety in the future? 

Hi 

I had the exact same thing accept my son had moved up a group, his new teacher was quite loud and abrupt. I contacted the lady who is the head swimming coach and explained my son struggles with change and that he hadn’t really taken to his new coach. We changed to a different night with someone he was super comfortable with but it still took quite a few times to get him back into it. Swimming pools are a funny one really, I struggle with the ambient noise and really can’t concentrate. It could be a sensory thing for him as well. 

Children
No Data