BAd day at the homestead

Thanks I found the posts really helpful to gain an insight into my DS behaviour today..I can see now that the 2 friends he invited over were way to noisy and excitable and he melted down..this continued on and off for the remainder of the day until I managed to get him calm at bedtime...even a laugh before sleep.

I had the foresight to bundle the friends out the door quick sticks despite one of them being judgemental about DS I handled that firmly 'I will deal with the situation you need to go now'..but I didn't handle my son as well as I would have liked and feel I was too rigid..I didn't feel good about this afterwards.

I feel like I made him push that anger down and inwards when by the sound of it he desperately needed to let rip in safety..what works for one son may not work for the other. 

I need to experiment with different tactics perhaps..will look more closely at that. I 'm very new to this so forgive any clumsiness on my part..it's hard knowing how to strike the right balance between establishing right and wrong and not crushing DS in the process.

Is it best to let him burn out his anger or do normal time out's help...?? Time out works eventually but he seems to forget we have been through it very quickly and I am wondering if it will properly sink in with him that this is whats required.It feels to me like we are covering the same ground relentlessly without him getting any insight into how the process is supposed to work. 

DS is 5 this month and we are awaiting assessment...my partner is also waiting assessment and I am trying to work out angles for him too.

Oh dear school tomorrow..my heart feels very leaden tonight..I am putting off bed for no particular reason other than I am the last one up and am not being talked at for the first time today. 

Better get up there I guess by the time I get the boys to school I will feel I have done a full day....

BTW is it typical for people with spectrum disorders to constantly question everything and ask questions constantly about everything..thank goodness for Paulo Nuttini's song 'Pencil full of lead'..puts DS instantly in a good mood.

WIsh me luck

x

Parents
  • Hello !!!! hope your son is feeling better   my daughter is 11 now she too likes time on her own at school during break times ,her friends are very good with her as they have grown with her at school, they are used to her ways .At school she has support with social skills ,she is allowed to choose a friend or her helper will  choose someone who she does'nt know very well (eg, take turns ,patients,find out about the other person,listening )she's had this now for 2 years............this has helped her improve her social skills . It's good that your son can talk to you about what he like's and doesn't like and he  can recodnise this, he's obviously an intelligent little boy all credit to you

• Hello !!!! hope your son is feeling better   my daughter is 11 now she too likes time on her own at school during break times ,her friends are very good with her as they have grown with her at school, they are used to her ways .At school she has support with social skills ,she is allowed to choose a friend or her helper will  choose someone who she does'nt know very well (eg, take turns ,patients,find out about the other person,listening )she's had this now for 2 years............this has helped her improve her social skills . It's good that your son can talk to you about what he like's and doesn't like and he  can recodnise this, he's obviously an intelligent little boy all credit to you

Children
No Data