Does anyone else have this?

For years we have always gone to family for Christmas, our Son who has ASD would  happily come along too and he’d enjoy it. This year he has just wanted to stay home at Christmas. Is this usual and should we try to get him to go out? 

Parents
  • our Son who has ASD would  happily come along too and he’d enjoy it

Are you certain about this?

When I was diagnosed my autistic friend said that I had always enjoyed family get-togethers.

I pointed out to him that I hadn't, that I had always found them stressful, but I didn't want to offend people by showing them this, so I'd masked.

he has just wanted to stay home at Christmas. Is this usual

Yes.

• "...I had always found them stressful, but I didn't want to offend people by showing them this, so I'd masked."

Oh Debbie, yes, yes, yes.. I used to do that before I finally plucked up the courage NOT to go the gatherings,

Ben

• "...I had always found them stressful, but I didn't want to offend people by showing them this, so I'd masked."

Oh Debbie, yes, yes, yes.. I used to do that before I finally plucked up the courage NOT to go the gatherings,

Ben

Children
  • I used to do that before I finally plucked up the courage NOT to go the gatherings,

I haven't managed to get to that stage yet although I have declined one invitation from a cousin to meet in another (very busy) city.

I'm not sure she was terribly pleased but that's the dilemma - looking after ourselves or others.