Defiant behaviour ruining our family

Our 9 year old daughter is pre diagnosis for ASD. She is bright and can be incredibly caring but she is having regular moments of complete defiance. She becomes spiteful, cruel and ignores every request for her to follow even basic instructions. We try speaking calmly to her, explaining the reasons we need her to do as she is told, becoming firm and giving clear boundaries and consequences but she ignores it all and refuses to do as she is asked. This can go on for hours and it results in me and husband getting distressed with each other, neglecting our other child and it spirals out of control. I have PTSD and GAD and I find myself wanting to run away rather than face her. She says she doesn't like the person she becomes in those occasions but she can't get out. I sympathize but in those moments she shows no empathy or care for her actions and seems lost. I'm terrified this will tear us all apart. She seems so angry all the time and despite all our efforts to find her support and a way to vent it just comes back as this nasty defiant child who seems to hate us and will do the opposite of everything we ask. She is also starting puberty so that's added a new dimension to. I don't know what to do. Thank you for reading. 

Parents
  • You mentioned she "refuses to speak" and I have often heard parents and teachers use this phrase about autistic children.

The problem is, it's not always a choice.  People assume that because we can speak most of the time, we should be able to speak all of the time.  But sometimes, when I am overwhelmed by events or emotions I just can't get any words out no matter how hard I try.  There are words in my head, but I cannot get my mouth to move and articulate them.  It's a strange and sometimes frightening feeling.  

It's good that she's still able to communication by writing.

• Thank you for your response that's helpful to know what she may be experiencing. I will definitely consider that when she has these moments again. It must be incredibly frightening to feel that way. 

Reply Children
  • Also it's a lot to learn about asd you know so don't be hard on yourself and don't be hard on her you know take a deep breath  and baby steps take a walk is she stresses you etc. Also the refuse to talk ..what's actually happening is that inside her brain instead of the language pathways going from a to b like in neuro typical person ..with aspbergers it goes z to d back to c then a etc.. in other words very hard to process and also she overwhelmed by other things at same time..did you know recent studies show that apbreger person can have 100 times more nerve in the spine than neuro typical also lots of other things basicaly they are getting 100 times more the info that you are n also it's not always processed right either.. look online scientific papers etc it will help you realise just what she's dealing with and help you rediscover the child you love .