How do you recover after a meltdown?

One thing I've never been able to understand or help my daughter with is the aftermath of a meltdown. Yes, she has meltdowns and struggles on a weekly basis and I can help her with that but it's the bigger ones I can't. 

The ones she has in school I'm talking about. She is still shaken up from Wednesday's meltdown at school. She hasn't been settled at all and is on edge and is constantly pacing and crying. The school never told me that she had a meltdown and was restrained and held for ages, and she came home battered and bruised. I only found out because my daughter told me otherwise Id have no clue. The hardest part is the recovery and aftermath of the meltdown for her. 

I want to help her more and understand so if anyone is able to tell me what helps them after to decompress and relax, that will be amazing. Thanks x

Parents
  • One thing I did for my daughters (no one diagnosed, but something's up with my eldest) was make them a comfort box - with sensory items and distracting items, like a squishy ball, little colouring book, small treats etc.  My daughter never had her meltdowns at school though - only at home, because she'd been hiding it all day.  She's better meltdown wise now in her teens, though spends a lot of time in her room.

I might write more about my experience of adult meltdowns later - but the biggest takeaways for me were to work on my physical and mental health when I was feeling better so as to try and avoid meltdowns, and once they were happening to retreat and try to minimise the damage.  There was not much I could do once I was actually having a meltdown.  Afterwards I would feel quite depressed for a short while, so keep an eye on that, although you may already be aware of it.  Perhaps because the whole meltdown is so exhausting.  Thankfully I also don't seem to have them anymore, though perhaps I have a bit of a 'shutdown' instead.  

Exercise might be good for your daughter as someone suggested - exercise helps with anxiety and it's possibly a build-up of anxiety, overwhelm and frustration that bring on the meltdowns. Again it might be something you can do together.

Oh and do you have a pet?  Our little doggy pretty much coincided with when our daughter's meltdowns stopped.  She had a bit of counselling too with an educational psychologist.

• One thing I did for my daughters (no one diagnosed, but something's up with my eldest) was make them a comfort box - with sensory items and distracting items, like a squishy ball, little colouring book, small treats etc.  My daughter never had her meltdowns at school though - only at home, because she'd been hiding it all day.  She's better meltdown wise now in her teens, though spends a lot of time in her room.

I might write more about my experience of adult meltdowns later - but the biggest takeaways for me were to work on my physical and mental health when I was feeling better so as to try and avoid meltdowns, and once they were happening to retreat and try to minimise the damage.  There was not much I could do once I was actually having a meltdown.  Afterwards I would feel quite depressed for a short while, so keep an eye on that, although you may already be aware of it.  Perhaps because the whole meltdown is so exhausting.  Thankfully I also don't seem to have them anymore, though perhaps I have a bit of a 'shutdown' instead.  

Exercise might be good for your daughter as someone suggested - exercise helps with anxiety and it's possibly a build-up of anxiety, overwhelm and frustration that bring on the meltdowns. Again it might be something you can do together.

Oh and do you have a pet?  Our little doggy pretty much coincided with when our daughter's meltdowns stopped.  She had a bit of counselling too with an educational psychologist.

Children
No Data