Food

Hi all my son is nearly 6, he's had a diagnosis since he was 2 nearly 3.

I'm worried he's nor getting enough food.

He has restricted his food down to all of a few items.

Choc digestives, Milk, fruit biscuits, and chicken nuggets and chips.

I'm worried about him. We have plenty of support from his school but I'm still worried about his lack of eating. 

Please has anyone got any suggestions. 

• My son goes through phases of liking particular things then goes off them. Sometimes they are healthy sometimes not. There were times when it was a concern but he now eats a bit more variety and is taller than me. 

Sometimes he has tried something at school or a friend's house and decided he likes it. 

• If he has vitamin enriched milk, protein, carbs and some fruit in his biscuits then he is eating the main food groups albeit in a restricted way. If he seems well and is growing then let him carry on and when he gets older he may become more open to trying new things

• A potato is a good substitute for a banana. They contain much of the same nutrients. Meat also has a great deal of nutrition. Years ago I read the perfect food in a crisis was a jacket with butter. Digestives have oats, so you've ticked boxes. Does he like juice or fruit? Maybe dried? If he's not allergic a teaspoon of local honey is really good. I used to give my son protein bars when he wouldn't eat anything else. But children don't need much. They definitely don't need high fibre veg.

My grandmother used to reinforce that children will eat when they're hungry. In addition though, her father had "stomach problems", while my father discovered eventually he had gluten issues, as did I. One should always get this checked or pay attention to biology first. Our gut-health is connected to taste. 

But Jane Goodall lived off Bananas for months at a time & lived a happy and healthy long life. The most important thing is not to make a fuss about it. I eventually found that having bits of things always available, carrots, grapes, apples, dried fruit snacks, oat bars and such, within reach in small manageable amounts, is a healthier way to eat anyway. My son would just snack on things like this and eat what he could for meals. Now he's 25, loves cooking and packs down a kitchen in a meal. Haha

• My son is 4.

He now only eats plain brioche, strawberry yoghurt, choc chip cakes/cookies (one brand only), toast and the occasional banana. 

I've got to the point that as long as he isn't underweight and growing then i'm happy. Hopefully as he gets older he will be willing to try more things. 

He licked a carrot the other day and I could have cried with joy!

• No, he doesn't like sweats so we're still putting vitamins into his milk once a day. So I shouldn't be too worried then?

• Does he like sweets? You could try some gummy multivitamins if you’re worried about malnutrition. My nephew ate a similar diet especially when he was young, pretty much chicken nuggets, chips and cheese on toast. He was a very slim child but now he’s a teen he’s well over 6 foot and not as skinny, sometimes it’s just best to let them eat what they want so they’re at least getting calories in rather than end up restricting calories by trying to give food they won’t have however hungry they are

• Similar to me.  I only ate egg and chips as a child.  I'm awfully suspicious of eggs nowadays though.

My mum spoke to the doctor + he said 'if she only wants egg and chips, give her egg and chips'.

I don't like meat, veg or fruit and my mum often spoke to me as an adult about trying to feed me when I was a child.

I think that what matters the most is that there is some nutrition available in the food a child does eat and there is in the list above.

All the best.

• I was eating porridge twice a day until I was 7y.0, they couldn't make me eat anything else

I'm 43 now and I'm still alive and well