My Son doesn’t like to eat.

Hi, 

My Son is 3 years old, and non verbal, he has always been really difficult to feed, he doesn’t feed himself and can only have foods that he can swallow straight down because he doesn’t chew. All his foods are mainly blended, he doesn’t eat any solid food or meltable snacks. Meal times are always really difficult, it takes a long time for my son to eat a meal he constantly pushes the spoon away, or head butts the spoon, won’t open his mouth or just turns his head away. We make a variety of different meals and the outcome is always the same.
Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any ideas as to what we can try? 
we have had a feeding assessment but it wasn’t any use, all they have said is that until my son starts feeding himself there isn’t much help they can give. 

Thank you.

Parents
  • My older brother has autism and although was verbal he used to vomit everything that he was given to eat. He was prescribed milkshakes (I think you can buy it now from chemists but would ask your gp about them.) My brother has a gag reflex valve issue which 25 years ago wasn’t spotted. The milkshakes were a game changer as he didn’t need to eat anything else with texture and he gained weight. My mum carried on getting the prescription for years and we all drank them! Eventually (about age 5) when he stopped  associating food with being sick he began eating. My younger  brother (6) has major sensory issues too (it’s definitely a family thing) He was breastfed for longer than most children are. When it came to any other food the pressure was completely off (as he was getting what he needed nutritional in the milk) and due to that he began to eat. (he was non verbal until age 5 I think never chewing food played a part) Now he mostly eats Pom bears, potato waffles and innocent smoothie cartons (which although expensive are worth a try too!)  Out of interest when did he stop having formula/breast milk? Obviously not an ideal diet for a three year old but if that is something he likes you could go back to that maybe? Even nestle milkshakes from the supermarket are fortified, just to take the stress out of nutrition for a while. (I’m sure dentists would be horrified!) My younger brother is now up for trying lots of foods some stick and most don’t but he is more willing to try now, the foods he does eat do cover most food groups. Lots of sensory play with food is worth a try too, twinkl worksheet website has lots of fun ideas. Making cakes, let him eat the mixture as no bought eggs have salmonella anymore!  my little brother loves pancake mixture (and pancakes) and when you think about it he gets protein from the eggs and milk which we couldn’t get him to eat otherwise. Distraction eating whilst playing on tablets or watching tv is one of my mum’s favourite tricks too! As hard as it is, try not to worry about it too much it will get better! Lots of love to you all! 

• Thank you for your advice and tips, also sharing the struggles that your family have had too. My Son still drinks milk and quite a bit of it, it’s just his eating that has always been the problem, he was quite poorly as a baby and has developmental delay from this which makes things quite difficult. We will give your advice a go and see whether my Son will engage in the activities. Thank you again. 

• Thank you for your advice and tips, also sharing the struggles that your family have had too. My Son still drinks milk and quite a bit of it, it’s just his eating that has always been the problem, he was quite poorly as a baby and has developmental delay from this which makes things quite difficult. We will give your advice a go and see whether my Son will engage in the activities. Thank you again. 

Children
No Data