Could this be PTSD?

My daughters school phoned me today. The explained that she had a good day but they believe she may have PTSD. I've read up on it and it could be a possibility.  

She has been through so much the last few years and it has had a massive impact on everyone especially her. For example, she got taken out of our care and nearly put into care. There was a lot of trouble with emergency services, her going missing, being arrested and taken into custody many times. Many family members and pets have died. School issues which started it all off. And a massive move. That's just a few. She tried commiting suicide and self harmed for years. 

It started when she was 12, she's now 15. She's always struggled when this all happened and still does. She can't eat curtain food which reminds her of hospital, for example, toast, biscuits, apple juice. She won't go to any places that remind her of what happened. For example, the park, certain roads, part of the forest which includes a certain tree. Even a member of the public who walks past her regularly just reminds her. It could be the same lady who helped her or she looks similar. I've noticed that when a police car or ambulance goes past or she sees one, she gets twitchy and seems to become a bit distressed and distracted. Even hearing sirens is a trigger. She's had constant nightmares about it and it comes and goes during the day and feeling the same emotions and feeling as to when it happened. She constantly seems on edge. Could this be because she has developed PTSD 

Parents
  • Could this be because she has developed PTSD

Hi PA,

I feel really sad that you and your family are facing such awful challenges.  It sounds like the school are very good at acting when your daughter needs family support but it also seems that there are a lot of triggers for your daughter with changes and life incidents.

I think whatever the reason for your daughters distress, the focus could be on building even more comforting things into her routine.  As a teenager and adult I have received various GP recommended supports which have shaped who I am and had good and bad aspects to them depending on various factors.  I think that the main and most helpful person throughout my life has been my mum.  I think the best people are those who know the triggers and comforts needed for their child.  My mum knows when I am having a hard time and I have come to understand my own coping techniques as time goes by.

It sounds like there are a lot of traumatic experiences running through your family as a whole.  Do you receive support?  What support has worked for your daughter? What does she find comforting? Does your daughter tend to let you support her or does she prefer your partner?  Does your daughter have a quiet room in the house where she goes or does she prefer to chill out with you all?

Different things work for me depending on how I feel:

1. Slightly stressed - music/doing mundane repetitive tasks/crafting/art/helping others.
    2. Moderately stressed - getting out in nature/watching movies/samaritans.
    3. Extremely stressed - samaritans/pacing/crying/ranting/deep breathing/rocking/humming/any stimming
    4. Suicidal - samaritans/cosy heavy blankets/comforting foods/loads of reassurance/cuddles if I had a partner

I really hope you find everyones hints and tips useful and that you, your daughter and your family come through this patch of angst to find laughter and light once again.

• Could this be because she has developed PTSD

Hi PA,

I feel really sad that you and your family are facing such awful challenges.  It sounds like the school are very good at acting when your daughter needs family support but it also seems that there are a lot of triggers for your daughter with changes and life incidents.

I think whatever the reason for your daughters distress, the focus could be on building even more comforting things into her routine.  As a teenager and adult I have received various GP recommended supports which have shaped who I am and had good and bad aspects to them depending on various factors.  I think that the main and most helpful person throughout my life has been my mum.  I think the best people are those who know the triggers and comforts needed for their child.  My mum knows when I am having a hard time and I have come to understand my own coping techniques as time goes by.

It sounds like there are a lot of traumatic experiences running through your family as a whole.  Do you receive support?  What support has worked for your daughter? What does she find comforting? Does your daughter tend to let you support her or does she prefer your partner?  Does your daughter have a quiet room in the house where she goes or does she prefer to chill out with you all?

Different things work for me depending on how I feel:

1. Slightly stressed - music/doing mundane repetitive tasks/crafting/art/helping others.
    2. Moderately stressed - getting out in nature/watching movies/samaritans.
    3. Extremely stressed - samaritans/pacing/crying/ranting/deep breathing/rocking/humming/any stimming
    4. Suicidal - samaritans/cosy heavy blankets/comforting foods/loads of reassurance/cuddles if I had a partner

I really hope you find everyones hints and tips useful and that you, your daughter and your family come through this patch of angst to find laughter and light once again.

Children
  • Thank you for your response. Honestly, we don't have any support. School is good and we are working together to help her. She doesn't talk to me about what has happened and what's on her mind when it comes to the incidents. She will talk to only 2 staff who have been amazing to her. She prefers to talk to people who hasn't been part of it, like us, her family and friends. 

She always spends time in her room cuddled up in her weighted blanket and beanbag listening to music with some colour changing lights. It's very relaxing and cosy. 

The main incidents happened 2 years ago now but there were others around 4 years ago. We know from the past 2 years she struggled when it all happened but after things calmed down she seemed fine. She was upset a few months ago about it and told school about part of it. She is now upset a bit more and it seems to affect her more. She has only told school this. She's been struggling all this time and I didn't realise. I'll be honest, she is amazing at masking her feelings. She can seem like she is happy and excited but deep down, she is upset and worried. Its hard to know I missed it so I feel guilty.