12 year old son - to seek assessment for diagnosis or not.

We have often noticed autistic traits in our son and recently he has expressed worries about being different. He had always struggled socially / with friendships and seems to get on better when talking to adults than peoe his won age. He has a big obsession with buses and trains and collects bus timetables. He struggled with big events such as holidays, birthdays and Christmas etc. Anyway we had a chat yesterday and he thinks he would like to look at getting assessment done. He says he would rather look into a possible diagnosis than, as he puts it "have a big question mark,". Howevet today he is stressing about it and saying he is worried how a diagnosis would affect his future job opportunities and that maybe we should wait until he has achieved something first. 

Any advice ? 

• Yes diagnosis will certainly help when it comes to tackling exams. Your son would be entitled to a smaller/less busy exam room if needed. I found exam halls very daunting and can't help but feel I would have done better in my exams had I been in a room either on my own or with fewer people. However I didn't get my ASD diagnosis until last month, at the age of 27. 

• Hi. I’m in the process of getting my 18 year old daughter diagnosed. Apparently the waiting list is about 2 years in my area. I would recommend starting the process earlier rather than later so you have a diagnosis when you need help. Hope this helps. she showed signs but they increased a lot around GCSE time. 

• I would say it is always worth getting an assessment and possible diagnosis. At your son's age, having a diagnosis will entitle him to appropriate support throughout his education (including further education) and ease the stressors in his life. This can be extended into employment however please tell your son that he does not HAVE to disclose a diagnosis to any future employer. It is completely his decision who he discloses the diagnosis to. The pros of disclosing in employment are equal opportunities (many employers are Disability Confident i.e. if he was to disclose ASD on his application form, he would automatically secure an interview if he meets the essential criteria), reasonable adjustments will also have to be made under the Equality Act 2010 in order to make the environment as comfortable as possible for him. 

• No advise but I am in similar situation with my 13yr old son. Concerned as he has lots of meltdowns and fall outs with the family (we are a family of 5) I want to be more understanding and know how to help him but no idea where to begin weigh diagnosis. Especially as one minute he’s okay with me approaching doctor the next he has an anxiety attack and even mentions suicide if I approach his school.