Help me with my 18 year old daughter

DD diagnosed with ASD 18 months ago. I am sat here in tears seeing her spend yet another day in bed asleep, her life passing her by.... 

Parents
  • Hi, I am a 21 year old girl and I feel I can really sympathise with DD. I too was diagnosed late at 16, and I also dropped out of college due to struggling with the social aspect of it. It sounds like she may be experiencing depression, or I would assume so due to her spending so much time in bed. Sometimes it's hard to admit to yourself or your loved ones that you are struggling. Also I found that being in bed can be especially favourable to someone who experiences hypersensitivity, as the comfort and softness of the sheets can be insanely good. I have experienced depression both prior to and after having my diagnosis. I felt a lot of disconnection to my diagnosis, but I have grown to accept and embrace it, though I am far from being comfortable and happy with it just yet. I was working at McDonald's at 16 when I dropped out of college, which I believe helped me massively, and my mum would say the same. It helped me in many ways but the biggest one was the gradual pushing to work on the tills (I was used to staying in the kitchen and loved the repetitiveness and procedures). It was really hard for me at first to face my fears however with support and small steps I became more confident within myself. I found my voice and conquered much of my fear of other people and speaking to them! After almost 5 years of working in the job and doing well there, I decided to retry college. I followed my passion and I am now going to college again as a 'mature student', studying music production. I wanted to share this story for you and maybe you might want to share it with DD. I wanted to show that me, a fellow autistic and late-diagnosed young woman has been through similar feelings to what I imagine DD might be feeling, and that I have felt absolutely hopeless, but that I have managed to keep moving forwards and that it is possible! Not everyone is ready to study at the common age, and it is more than fine to wait a few years, I mean you can always come back to education, and your current health is most important. I wonder does DD work or has she considered it at all? I'd be more than happy to keep speaking and maybe listen or share some experiences that may help. I wish all the best for you and DD!

Holly :)

• welcome to this forumn can u please stay ! create a nice id, fill in some Bio  and give yourself a nice picture and join in here.

Your experience and feedback will be useful to others here.

We can listen to ur rants as you go through college Slight smile

Heart

• Aww that's lovely thank you! Yes, I'm about to go to bed but tomorrow I will do something nice with my profile and I'd love to join in! I'm glad to have finally found somewhere with people alike! haha

Reply Children