Help me with my 18 year old daughter

DD diagnosed with ASD 18 months ago. I am sat here in tears seeing her spend yet another day in bed asleep, her life passing her by.... 

Parents
  • Thanks *Gianfry* i need help with everything! She spends all day in bed asleep, refusing any help from help from me. Sigh. 

• it will be a pleasure to share what we have experienced in the hope that it will be of some help to you. About present situation ... did this all start when you got the diagnosis? Is your daughter still in school?

Gianfranco

• No she dropped out of College, she found the social side too hard going. She opted to do A levels at home online but hasn't been doing any studies. She just sleeps all day and it is breaking my hear to Sweatsee her struggling and not moving forward with her life Sweat

• Believe me, I do not want to minimize it at all but only to suggest possible hypotheses to give you effective help: dropped out the College, age problems and confusion about clear direction to go own life are quite common (I remember my daughter told me daily “Lay off me!” for one years when she finished high school and had to decide which college to choose). But, I know, at the present time maybe she could be more complicated by anguish for present situation due COVID-19 in addition she has a hard to accept the defeat with College.

So, remembering how parental rejection at this age is quite normal, have you consider asking to help from the best person (friend, relative, teacher, etc.) who she has the most in consideration … that it doesn’t have to be you? Often we parents not are the good choice to give directly help in this age especially when there are some crisis. No matter how great our love is, we have to accept that in some critical phases of our children's lives we must take a step back (but only apparently, of course!) to really help.

Consider this and see if it seems like a good possibility to explore.

• Believe me, I do not want to minimize it at all but only to suggest possible hypotheses to give you effective help: dropped out the College, age problems and confusion about clear direction to go own life are quite common (I remember my daughter told me daily “Lay off me!” for one years when she finished high school and had to decide which college to choose). But, I know, at the present time maybe she could be more complicated by anguish for present situation due COVID-19 in addition she has a hard to accept the defeat with College.

So, remembering how parental rejection at this age is quite normal, have you consider asking to help from the best person (friend, relative, teacher, etc.) who she has the most in consideration … that it doesn’t have to be you? Often we parents not are the good choice to give directly help in this age especially when there are some crisis. No matter how great our love is, we have to accept that in some critical phases of our children's lives we must take a step back (but only apparently, of course!) to really help.

Consider this and see if it seems like a good possibility to explore.

Children
No Data