New member - Autistic mum feeling very isolated

Hello, I've never been on this forum before but I just wanted to reach out and make sure I'm not the only person like me in the world, it can feel that way sometimes.

I am 27, happily married to my Autistic husband and a stay-at-home mum to my perfect 1 year old son. Plus I'm an open book, love deep discussions and am probably way too intense for most people. I want desperately to make friends with other mums so my boy can have lots of interaction with other children, but I'm struggling... 

My husband has to work way too much and my mum will be moving further away in just a few weeks. To my knowledge I have never met another diagnosed Autistic female in person before.

Can anyone relate? Sorry I am super depressing, not even sure if I'm typing this in the right place and worried that I'll press Post, then have that panic of knowing I look like a fool. Thank you.

Parents
  • Hi, and welcome. I joined yesterday and like you I wanted to reach out via this forum to not feel so alone (every post I write I worry I'm going to look like a fool so I understand that). It seems that autism in females is becoming more recognised so I hope you will not only find like-minded people on here but perhaps also locally to you for further support. I have read some very good articles which really highlight struggles I've had which I assumed were just me being awkward.

I'm 35 and I have recently been referred for diagnosis. I am a bit of an open and intense book too and have struggled to make friends for a lot of my life. Never understood how some people (like my two sisters) seem so surrounded by friends. It is hard...

I don't have children, just the fur baby who is currently purring by my feet.

• Hello, that is the hope! There are some really good Ted Talks on Youtube, some of them make me feel so empowered and in love with my brain. Then I spend a bit more time in the real world and it can all come crashing down again. I'm sorry you've had to wait so long for diagnosis! Have you always known, or was it a bit of a shock to you?

I can completely relate to the friends thing, my sister has at least 12 friends with varying degrees of friendship, but I have no idea how she manages so many relationships! 

I wish I had a fur baby!! We are waiting until we can afford a house before we have any animal companions.

• Hi. I, too, have siblings who have never had problems making friends and it sometimes seems to me we must have come from different parents, but that's just the way things work out sometimes. You have to be true to yourself, however, and pursue the kind of life that is good for you and it seems to me you have become a bit too isolated. Having a young son must be very time consuming and not allow you the freedom to get out now and then and it's a pity your mom is moving away soon. Do you like going to libraries, etc? That is the kind of environment that might suit you since you are not expected to socialize yet be in the company of people who might have things in common with you.

• Hi. I, too, have siblings who have never had problems making friends and it sometimes seems to me we must have come from different parents, but that's just the way things work out sometimes. You have to be true to yourself, however, and pursue the kind of life that is good for you and it seems to me you have become a bit too isolated. Having a young son must be very time consuming and not allow you the freedom to get out now and then and it's a pity your mom is moving away soon. Do you like going to libraries, etc? That is the kind of environment that might suit you since you are not expected to socialize yet be in the company of people who might have things in common with you.

Children
  • Yes, it's super expensive, I love being a full-time mum and I'm still breastfeeding a lot.

• NAS69745, is childcare out of the question?

• Yes, well I am half way between my brother, he's also Autistic, and he can go weeks without seeing anyone at all. And my sister who is always chatting to someone. I've always felt happier just having one or two friends who I text every now and again, since I am lucky enough to have my lovely husband and I used to see my family every week as well. But since having a baby, there is that constant worry that I'm isolating him. I managed to make friends with another mum back in January, that was lovely meeting up with her once a week for a while, but since the lockdown the bus service in my area has been reduced to just 3 buses a day, that has really cut off one major life line for me. I used to get that bus to meet my friend, now to catch the bus I either have to leave far too early in the morning, or at my son's dinner time.

A Library sounds like a good idea, I'll need to find out if there are any with a good children's section nearby. The only issue with that is my boy is very vocal, not sure if he's old enough for a library yet. We read at home, but only when he's feeding.