increasingly violent/aggressive behaviour after changes and at the onset of puberty

Hello,

my name is Sarah, I am new to this group but please look at my 'about me' info. I am very happy to meet other parents and carers here. 

I am at a point in my son's development/life where I really don't know what to do. My son is 12 and a half, he has what I would call medium needs given the breadth of the spectrum. He is now verbal (after Nordoff/Robbins music therapy) and 2 years ago we managed to toilet train him as well. Two huge achievements both for him and for us, I feel.

Now recently, we have moved house and also moved in with my partner. Then there's obviously the covid restrictions both in outside life and school life. And on top of that my son is rapidly changing into a teenager.

My son always has multiple ocds, especially in the evenings before bed time. Certain things need to be in certain locations, things need sorting and distributing etc. It has always taken a long time to get him into bed and we have been using TEACCH and other rituals and routines for many years. But recently he has added a 'thought game' that is called 'goodie and baddie' and some of his things 'need to be thrown' or 'put in prison' (the baddies). This procedure is taking up so much time now every night, plus further ocds or obsessive thoughts about questions I can not answer such as 'when is the new xyz film going to be out, what 'precise day' - and if that day isn't 'TODAY', all hell breaks loose. 

I feel almost bullied as my son threatens me with 'explosions' if I don't deliver what he wants. Immediately.

I have never considered medication for him, at least not seriously, because I always figured, it wasn't 'bad enough' and I could solve problems using behaviour techniques, and holistic approaches. However, right now, I'd be willing to use anything that might alleviate his own struggle/anxieties/obsessions and the resulting threats, screaming and even physical explosions and fights he gets into.

If anyone could share their experience with medication for these kinds of states and pre-teen problems I would be more than grateful.

Also, is there an emergency helpline (24/7) that one can call if things get totally out of control?

Thank you!!

Sarah

Parents
  • Hello Sarah,

We have a page on the NAS website about obsessions and repetitive behaviour which might help you to deal with your 12-year-old son. https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour/obsessions/all-audiences

If you have further questions, you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team. They can provide you with information and advice about repetitive behaviour. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

All the best,

Karin Mod

• Hello Sarah,

We have a page on the NAS website about obsessions and repetitive behaviour which might help you to deal with your 12-year-old son. https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour/obsessions/all-audiences

If you have further questions, you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team. They can provide you with information and advice about repetitive behaviour. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

All the best,

Karin Mod

Children
No Data