Help - How to communicate with my step-son

My step-son is showing signs for Asperger's and I am not sure how to communicate effectively with him.

He is 23 living at home. Has a good job in IT. 

Parents
  • As the saying goes 'if you've met one autistic, you've met one autistic'. Like those with the predominant neurotype, we are all different. Our childhood, education, employment, personal morals etc all affect our communication preferences and needs.

It seems to be socially acceptable to refer to autistic individuals in a way that wouldn't be acceptable when referring to other minorities e.g would you say I've met a man, his son works in IT and he's black. I don't know how to communicate with black people? Or I've met a man, his daughter works in IT. I don't know how to communicate with women, please help?

Many parents and carers of autistic individuals are autistic themselves, therefore, when your posting something you might want to think about how if you were the minority would you want people to refer to you in the same way as you are posting.

There isn't enough information about the specifics of what you're struggling with to help. 

• As the saying goes 'if you've met one autistic, you've met one autistic'. Like those with the predominant neurotype, we are all different. Our childhood, education, employment, personal morals etc all affect our communication preferences and needs.

It seems to be socially acceptable to refer to autistic individuals in a way that wouldn't be acceptable when referring to other minorities e.g would you say I've met a man, his son works in IT and he's black. I don't know how to communicate with black people? Or I've met a man, his daughter works in IT. I don't know how to communicate with women, please help?

Many parents and carers of autistic individuals are autistic themselves, therefore, when your posting something you might want to think about how if you were the minority would you want people to refer to you in the same way as you are posting.

There isn't enough information about the specifics of what you're struggling with to help. 

Children
No Data