Does your child do this?

My 7 year old autistic Daughter sometimes does this thing where you walk towards her and she runs so your left chasing her round a shop or wherever it is.

Does anyone else child do this?

Have you found a way to stop them doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • The general rule of thumb when understanding the behaviour of autistic children is that it tends to mean one of two things. Either “Come here, Mum!”  or “Go away!”. A social story before you go to the store, may help. This needs to show that yout child stays by your side, and if they do so ... as one example, they might get to “insert whichever activity” has postive meaning to your child here”(could be watching a favourite video when you return home, a painting or water play experience, dvd or computer time etc...”  Always remember, that you, as the adult, need to be in control. Far better that you don’t‘t react negatively or become cross, as this only serves to reinforce the behaviour. Please don’t make a fuss of any nevative behaviour. It’s very possible that your daughter is simply overwhelmed in this environment, and doesn’t want to be here... 

A few things I’ve written in the past(that I hope might be helpful)...

So often parents are heard to say “All that child needs is a good thrashing” to teach him his manners. Spanking a child cannot and will not teach a child to learn his manners. In order to learn his manners, he needs to be rewarded for any and all acceptable behaviour that he displays in the company of people. Note that the issue of punishing a child(ie teaching consequences for actions/teaching children to take responsibility for their own actions) is a separate process in and of itself and different to the positive training of a child. There are certainly times when parents/carers need to control children when they are out of control and safety is an issue, but you cannot teach acceptable social behaviour through fear-based punishments. In fact, fear-based punishments(corporal punishment) actually escalate the problem behaviour of those on the spectrum by increasing their anxiety.

All the best :).

• The general rule of thumb when understanding the behaviour of autistic children is that it tends to mean one of two things. Either “Come here, Mum!”  or “Go away!”. A social story before you go to the store, may help. This needs to show that yout child stays by your side, and if they do so ... as one example, they might get to “insert whichever activity” has postive meaning to your child here”(could be watching a favourite video when you return home, a painting or water play experience, dvd or computer time etc...”  Always remember, that you, as the adult, need to be in control. Far better that you don’t‘t react negatively or become cross, as this only serves to reinforce the behaviour. Please don’t make a fuss of any nevative behaviour. It’s very possible that your daughter is simply overwhelmed in this environment, and doesn’t want to be here... 

A few things I’ve written in the past(that I hope might be helpful)...

So often parents are heard to say “All that child needs is a good thrashing” to teach him his manners. Spanking a child cannot and will not teach a child to learn his manners. In order to learn his manners, he needs to be rewarded for any and all acceptable behaviour that he displays in the company of people. Note that the issue of punishing a child(ie teaching consequences for actions/teaching children to take responsibility for their own actions) is a separate process in and of itself and different to the positive training of a child. There are certainly times when parents/carers need to control children when they are out of control and safety is an issue, but you cannot teach acceptable social behaviour through fear-based punishments. In fact, fear-based punishments(corporal punishment) actually escalate the problem behaviour of those on the spectrum by increasing their anxiety.

All the best :).

Children
  • First, I would like to make it clear that I don't use fear-based or any form of physical punishment.

Second, in the nicest possible way, what should I do when she does this behaviour then??

I do reward her for positive behaviour.

I have tried social stories but then when it happens she just seems to forgot them.

Sorry if any of that comes across as rude.