Does your child do this?

My 7 year old autistic Daughter sometimes does this thing where you walk towards her and she runs so your left chasing her round a shop or wherever it is.

Does anyone else child do this?

Have you found a way to stop them doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • So to give a bit of background my daughter usually runs when I walk towards her when she is having a meltdown or isn't happy with something. When my daughter is having a meltdown I usually try to make her laugh to calm her as that works most of the time.

When I spoke to her she said that she doesn't even know she does it sometimes as when she is having a meltdown she can't control herself sometimes. She also said that when I try to make her laugh, she gets confused as she "can't think properly" and doesn't know "whether it is time to play with mummy and run as mummy comes towards her". 

To be honest I don't even think she knows herself most of the time that she has done it.

She also does it when she isn't happy with something and I come towards here and same when she is having a meltdown so I think she is trying to tell me something when she does it to be honest.

She will probably do it for a few more years yet.

• Ho boy.... I see all this & so I attempt reply again, yet Yes Ma'am, You have hit the limits of Me, I shall admit... sorry about that. (!)

If this were My child I would first of all emphasise that it is important to not run away so much when being approached by "Mummy" (...), because this might put Her into danger... surely when giving food or Smartphones or whatever, then this does not happen? With regards to "rewards", a Parent needs to reply here, usually I run away from Children, Myself...

Also You say She runs when unhappy or having a Meltdown.  Again, I know little about this:-  I am Autistic, honest! - but I Myself just Shutdown or Flee rather than "Meltdown". This is a public forum, so not the best place to discuss such things, but She is both running away and running to gain Your attention, so something else REALLY is going on which must be discussed, somehow.

Also As I said before that it could be "stress relief" (stimming). The last thing I can say is to watch carefully and check for a point when the running around turns into "impulsive" (reckless or dangerous). Just keep the running going on, but try to encourage doing this in a safe/controlled area. Also, I would regularly take Her to a wider space like a park and encourage her to burn off the stress/ energy there instead.

...NAS67530 (hard to track all these numbers) also replied, so take that advice and from other parents here, surely. I might see this Thread much later on and think of something more specific, but so far it just sounds like the running away is stress relief being triggered by something to Me (...Me who is not a parent & beginning to waffle, now.)... Good Luck, though, Thanks for being here.

• Ho boy.... I see all this & so I attempt reply again, yet Yes Ma'am, You have hit the limits of Me, I shall admit... sorry about that. (!)

If this were My child I would first of all emphasise that it is important to not run away so much when being approached by "Mummy" (...), because this might put Her into danger... surely when giving food or Smartphones or whatever, then this does not happen? With regards to "rewards", a Parent needs to reply here, usually I run away from Children, Myself...

Also You say She runs when unhappy or having a Meltdown.  Again, I know little about this:-  I am Autistic, honest! - but I Myself just Shutdown or Flee rather than "Meltdown". This is a public forum, so not the best place to discuss such things, but She is both running away and running to gain Your attention, so something else REALLY is going on which must be discussed, somehow.

Also As I said before that it could be "stress relief" (stimming). The last thing I can say is to watch carefully and check for a point when the running around turns into "impulsive" (reckless or dangerous). Just keep the running going on, but try to encourage doing this in a safe/controlled area. Also, I would regularly take Her to a wider space like a park and encourage her to burn off the stress/ energy there instead.

...NAS67530 (hard to track all these numbers) also replied, so take that advice and from other parents here, surely. I might see this Thread much later on and think of something more specific, but so far it just sounds like the running away is stress relief being triggered by something to Me (...Me who is not a parent & beginning to waffle, now.)... Good Luck, though, Thanks for being here.

Children
No Data