Newly diagnosed 2 year old - sad mum

Hi,

My 2 year old son doesn’t talk, has poor eye contact, doesn’t point and flaps his hands when excited. Until the questionnaire for the 2 year review I didn’t think too much of it all but now with the review it’s all come into the picture. I feel so upset and overwhelmed. I feel guilty on many counts. With the Covid situation, I have been told there is no guarantee when we will be contacted for the referral and paediatrician follow up. I feel helpless with no advice on what I can do to make things better for him and how to come to terms with it myself. So worried about what the future will be like. Feel sad for my older daughter who is the sweetest most cooperative little girl. Most places recommend talking to other parents in the same situation. So here I am. Any support please - much appreciated

Parents
  • Well enjoy your time at home! Forget his diagnosis for now. Give him a routine. Play how he likes to play. Enjoy time with him. Be happy hes still your son. They grow up way too fast. Hes just 2! He may just catch up one day. They dont usually diagnose so young so your already ahead theres no rush. If he wants to spend the day flapping and spinning, you flap and spin with him. Show him hes not alone, hes not anything to be worried about. Hes well him. The countries on lockdown  theres a pandemic. I'm guessing hes healthy and doesnt have the virus? Take this time to connect

• Ps I'm autistic my mother used to tell me to stop flapping, spinning etc. Never accepted me. I have an autistic child who's now grown up

Reply Children
No Data