Newly diagnosed 2 year old - sad mum

Hi,

My 2 year old son doesn’t talk, has poor eye contact, doesn’t point and flaps his hands when excited. Until the questionnaire for the 2 year review I didn’t think too much of it all but now with the review it’s all come into the picture. I feel so upset and overwhelmed. I feel guilty on many counts. With the Covid situation, I have been told there is no guarantee when we will be contacted for the referral and paediatrician follow up. I feel helpless with no advice on what I can do to make things better for him and how to come to terms with it myself. So worried about what the future will be like. Feel sad for my older daughter who is the sweetest most cooperative little girl. Most places recommend talking to other parents in the same situation. So here I am. Any support please - much appreciated

Parents
  • Hi,

I am in a really similar situation. My daughter is 2 and 4 months and has been regressing since the start of the year in terms of her speech. After our initial Speech and Language appointment (2 weeks ago) concerns were raised about her lack of eye contact, repetitive behaviour, short concentration span, limited vocabulary (she was speaking more before) and disinterest in playing with others. I was quite devastated when I was told this as I had been reassuring myself that these behaviours were part of normal toddler development and to be honest, I did not know that some of these behaviours were a cause for concern. It is still a shock and I'm worried. 

Our follow-up session scheduled for next week has ben cancelled so we are a little lost.

Our local Health visitor phoned this week and offered the following advice:

1. Try to join in during repetitive play to encourage eye contact and to bring their focus back to the real world.

2. Try to develop concentration through play. Play ready, steady, go games or use countdown- 1,2,3 to encourage them to engage, focus and take turns. I have been using bubbles for this. 

3. Use short, repetitive words/ phrases and apply to real life contexts when pointing at or using certain objects.

Sorry if some of this is obvious- just passing on some tips that have helped us in these last few weeks.

• Hi,

I am in a really similar situation. My daughter is 2 and 4 months and has been regressing since the start of the year in terms of her speech. After our initial Speech and Language appointment (2 weeks ago) concerns were raised about her lack of eye contact, repetitive behaviour, short concentration span, limited vocabulary (she was speaking more before) and disinterest in playing with others. I was quite devastated when I was told this as I had been reassuring myself that these behaviours were part of normal toddler development and to be honest, I did not know that some of these behaviours were a cause for concern. It is still a shock and I'm worried. 

Our follow-up session scheduled for next week has ben cancelled so we are a little lost.

Our local Health visitor phoned this week and offered the following advice:

1. Try to join in during repetitive play to encourage eye contact and to bring their focus back to the real world.

2. Try to develop concentration through play. Play ready, steady, go games or use countdown- 1,2,3 to encourage them to engage, focus and take turns. I have been using bubbles for this. 

3. Use short, repetitive words/ phrases and apply to real life contexts when pointing at or using certain objects.

Sorry if some of this is obvious- just passing on some tips that have helped us in these last few weeks.

Children
No Data