Different reactions to different parents

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of this? My son is much more challenging to my husband than myself. He pulled his hair and spat at him yesterday. I know he absolutely would not do that to me. He doesn't do these things all the time,  just when he's frustrated. It's quite upsetting and I'm not sure of the reasons. They do have a lovely bond and spend time playing together  and share interests. Any ideas?

Parents
  • Children learn from others, therefore, the first thing I'd wanting to know is how did he learn this behaviour and is it a situation to be concerned about e.g is there anyone in his life who reacts in this way to him.

The second thing is your son has unhealthy coping mechanisms for anger and frustration. Your son needs to know these feelings are normal but releasing them in a way that hurts others isn't ok and that he needs to find a more effective way to cope. This could be by excercise e.g going for a run, hitting a punch bag etc

• Children learn from others, therefore, the first thing I'd wanting to know is how did he learn this behaviour and is it a situation to be concerned about e.g is there anyone in his life who reacts in this way to him.

The second thing is your son has unhealthy coping mechanisms for anger and frustration. Your son needs to know these feelings are normal but releasing them in a way that hurts others isn't ok and that he needs to find a more effective way to cope. This could be by excercise e.g going for a run, hitting a punch bag etc

Children
  • He is 8. It is usually a direct response to him disciplining him. Son struggles to accept discipline as it makes him feel like everything he does is wrong even tho we explain it's not. He lacks confidence. I know he sees quite a lot of poor behaviour at school and has always been one for copying and echolalia