Doctor issues

My sons diagnosed asd. Thing is hes a teen and docs think hes reliable to talk to. I'm in the waiting room. Hes had ingrown toe nail for 12 weeks. Operation another 10 weeks away. Hes been crying and meltdowns, it bleeds alot etc but a doc asks how does it feel he says fine! I need advice e to get taken seriously please. Struggling. Now waiting to see gp but I know itll be same as usual as be er see same gp twice

• Check his temperature. If its that bad and nothing is being done they can't just keep throwing antibiotics at it without addressing the cause. I'd say you are within your rights to just turn up at A+E, its not ideal but if nothing is being done you have no alternative.

• He has had it for 12 weeks I think now. Infected 5 times they just give antibiotics. I've asked so many times if they'll speed up his appointment. Hes having it cut out.its been pouring with blood when I e taken him they just bandage It! I tried private but they wont do it as hes under 16! I pointed out today to the gp it's not okay. If my dogs sick i get him treated the next day. My son is I'll i cant pay anyone as they turn him down

• I'll write to the practice manager. I hadn't thought of that. My own anxiety goes super high at new doctors

• if the doctor has actually looked at his toe he should notice its infected if its that painful. Is it red hot swollen oozing? If so he may need antibiotics, I'd go back and go to a different GP and ask for an urgent referral to podiatry but also make sure they actually take a look at it, i know what its like having an ingrowing toenail that's become infected its so painful.....

• No worries! Same problem at most surgeries, lucky to get an appointment at all, no choice as to with whom!

• My sons diagnosed asd. Thing is hes a teen and docs think hes reliable to talk to. I'm in the waiting room. Hes had ingrown toe nail for 12 weeks. Operation another 10 weeks away. Hes been crying and meltdowns, it bleeds alot etc but a doc asks how does it feel he says fine! I need advice e to get taken seriously please. Struggling. Now waiting to see gp but I know itll be same as usual as be er see same gp twice

In my case I have appointments with one GP in particular or if not available one other, as they both understand autism very well indeed and I get along with them well too.

Opening up to social strangers about personal problems can be difficult for people even if they are not on the spectrum. A comfortably familiar GP and patient relationship can make things so much easier.

Check out doing a "Reasonable Adjustment" session perhaps with the Practice Manager on grounds of ASD if you have difficulties seeing a regular GP with your son, what with 'his' diagnosed communication difficulties at very least.

Also in my case, I write and send a letter before the appointment informing my GP of what the problem is in order to stay focused on the health issue during the time frame of the appointment. I myself find it really rather difficult communicating in short information chains, so I also get the double slot 20 min appointments.

I also used to take letters with me to do as  suggested, but unfortunately I was way to busy being anxious that I invariably forgot to give my GP or the appointed GP the letter! Plus I was often too busy also trying to deal with my communication glitches that I didn't even get the opportunity to inform the GP what was actually wrong!!! Rolling eyes

• I wasent aware of that thank you. One gp is brilliant with him but at our surgery you get who the receptionist gives you or not at all

• There are a number of reasonably short pain assessment tools that the GP 'could' use which have more specific questions on them as opposed to the generic 'how does your toe feel?' Maybe you could download one and fill it in with your son prior to the appointment and then give it to the GP when your son sees him?

• That is helpful I think I'll try that thank you

• I write down everything I'd like the doctor to know and then pass it to him at the start of the consultation for them to read, then we have a discussion afterwards. Would this help?

In future you could put the basic facts e.g he's crying, there's lots of blood etc. Alternatively, you could use it to raise awareness of autism and our communication needs by explaining your son follows a social script when he's asked if he's ok and the questions need to be a lot more specific e.g are you ever in so much pain it makes you tearful