ASD Son & Custody Advice

Hi. My adult ASD son left his partner. Their son is 2. The boy is with mum till custody is sorted out. We told him they should have equal shared care. His ex has big problems and takes advantage of him. I want to get some advice from an Autism counsellor as I think he may forego some of his parental rights without realising he wont get them back. Anybody know of such a service?

Parents
  • I an sorry I don't know of such counsellors. I  hope somebody will be here soon to give some specific pointers.

But I would think you need to use the main process whereby custody is decided and the channels and resources within it. Have you tried getting legal advice? Legal aid? Maybe you need some psychological assessments to demonstrate what the problem is with the ex. Essentially you need to support your son to act in his interests via dedicated channels. 

• I an sorry I don't know of such counsellors. I  hope somebody will be here soon to give some specific pointers.

But I would think you need to use the main process whereby custody is decided and the channels and resources within it. Have you tried getting legal advice? Legal aid? Maybe you need some psychological assessments to demonstrate what the problem is with the ex. Essentially you need to support your son to act in his interests via dedicated channels. 

Children
  • That was helpful. Because there is a specific Care Order in place it's going through social workers for now unless they cannot agree. My son doesn't want to go back to court and all the ex has to do is keep disagreeing until he caves in just to avoid court. Legal advice might help even though it's not necessary at this point. Thanks!