Secondary school

My son is in his 2nd year of secondary school, he coped surprisingly well with transition, however not all teachers are understanding of his diagnosis of autism. We've had numerous meetings to discuss things to put in place to help him, such as writing things down for him or in his planner, less obvious ways to ask for help etc.

After a recent parents evening I came away quite frustrated, most teachers are saying hes putting in no effort and does not really show much interest in lessons, he could be sat there for 10 mind and hasn't written down date/title or anything.

He doesn't want to accept any help as he doesn't like to be seen to be different!

Anyone have any advice or been in a similar situation. 

Parents
  • Yep, same here. My 12 yr old daughter constantly has issues with misunderstandings due to her Asperger’s. I have repeatedly pointed out some issues such as forgetfulness and organisation yet she keeps getting ‘behaviour points’ etc for things that can’t really be helped. I have a parent teacher night this week so I’m hoping to get somewhere......I’ll let you know how I get on!

• Yep, same here. My 12 yr old daughter constantly has issues with misunderstandings due to her Asperger’s. I have repeatedly pointed out some issues such as forgetfulness and organisation yet she keeps getting ‘behaviour points’ etc for things that can’t really be helped. I have a parent teacher night this week so I’m hoping to get somewhere......I’ll let you know how I get on!

Children
No Data