Any coping strategies in secondary school?

Hi, I’m new to this community so apologies if this is already answered somewhere. Has anyone found anything particular that helps their secondary school child get through the school day more easily? My daughter is 11 and so stressed out about school. We have given in to giving her lifts to/from school to ease the anxiety but sitting in a classroom where she finds it hard to process information quickly enough or remember what she should be doing is so tiring. Time out would help but she doesn’t want people to see her as different. Any ideas gratefully received! Thank you.

Parents
  • I spent 11 years doodling and hiding - it worked out ok. When I left - I started to learn - lol 

I think - I was doodling and wasting time simply because what they were trying to teach was simply too simplistic - children’s stuff. 

I now know that my IQ was higher then, than the teachers trying to teach. It’s the same today! How can a person who doesn’t understand how reality and the universe works, teach it to a child who does?? They can’t....

Its like an Ant trying to teach an Elephant... Otherwise the seriously highly inspired, highly in awe and wonder beautiful mind will end up like a - Person Living In Fear. ‘TheConditioned Fear Response’

So I guess - they could teach them to live in misery as most do - lol 

• I spent 11 years doodling and hiding - it worked out ok. When I left - I started to learn - lol 

I think - I was doodling and wasting time simply because what they were trying to teach was simply too simplistic - children’s stuff. 

I now know that my IQ was higher then, than the teachers trying to teach. It’s the same today! How can a person who doesn’t understand how reality and the universe works, teach it to a child who does?? They can’t....

Its like an Ant trying to teach an Elephant... Otherwise the seriously highly inspired, highly in awe and wonder beautiful mind will end up like a - Person Living In Fear. ‘TheConditioned Fear Response’

So I guess - they could teach them to live in misery as most do - lol 

Children
  • I totally agree with you. Many teachers have an enormous responsibility to create additional disabilities ... and I say this with the utmost respect for the School and for teachers in general (I have many teachers in the family: my wife, my sister, my brother-in-law, my two nephews !!).
    If there were real confrontation and listening to the students' families, a huge amount of unnecessary suffering and pain would be avoided and unimaginable goals would be reached (which remain permanent for the entire future life of young people with autism and ... even of their classmates).