Struggles with sleeping for children with autism

Hi my name is Antonella, I am a product design student currently in year 13 doing my A levels. 

I am currently working on a design project to help support families with children on the ASD spectrum specifically relating to their night time routines, such as being able to settle down to  sleep independently and thereby the whole family can benefit from a product that can improve this routine. This is a project that is very personal to me and my home life as I have a younger sibling who has long been diagnosed with autism. I would really appreciate it if you could take the time out of your day to answer a few of my questions so that I can gather as much information to inform my decision on what I may want to develop throughout my project.  

I would really appreciate if you could comment on what helps your child sleep or what problems you think your child tackles that causes them to not sleep. 

Any feedback; support and help would be greatly appreciated.

Parents
  • Hi Antonella I am only just being diagnosed as autistic, and I am in my late 50s, but I can tell you about my sleep struggles and solutions as a child. 

In those days (1960s) we had sheets and blankets not duvets. My mum would tuck me into bed so tightly I could hardly breathe, but it helped me get to sleep. The bottom sheet on the bed had a seam down the middle which I flicked with my toes. The blanket had a satin edge which I stroked my face with. My mind was always racing thinking of lots of different things which was why I struggled to get to sleep. 

My mother always sang the same lullaby every night. I can remember the words and tune now. I had a cuddle sheet which I stroked my nose with (I got very upset if it was ever washed - it was a blanket on a doll's bed before it became my comforter). I also sucked my left thumb until I was 14 years old. I only stopped because I was going on a geography field trip and had to sleep in a dormitory. I had to practise getting to sleep without sucking my thumb for a week. I managed it eventually. 

When I got older (10+)  I used to read under the bedclothes with a torch when I could not sleep. I had to do this because the neighbour opposite told my mum if she saw my bedroom light on in the night. Then, when I got a transistor radio one Christmas, I started listening to Radio 4 and the BBC World Service late at night. The Cold War was happening then, so some of the news stories made my insomnia and anxiety worse! I still love the theme from the shipping forecast which used to come on just before Radio 4 closed down for the night. Then I'd hear the theme for the BBC World Service which was totally brilliant and started: "This is London..." (I've just found it on YouTube and listened to it again!). 

This is all ancient history - 50+ years ago now... These days when I can't sleep I still read or listen to the radio or turn on my iPad, which is fantastic.

Good luck with your project, it sounds really interesting!  

Rose 

• Hi Antonella I am only just being diagnosed as autistic, and I am in my late 50s, but I can tell you about my sleep struggles and solutions as a child. 

In those days (1960s) we had sheets and blankets not duvets. My mum would tuck me into bed so tightly I could hardly breathe, but it helped me get to sleep. The bottom sheet on the bed had a seam down the middle which I flicked with my toes. The blanket had a satin edge which I stroked my face with. My mind was always racing thinking of lots of different things which was why I struggled to get to sleep. 

My mother always sang the same lullaby every night. I can remember the words and tune now. I had a cuddle sheet which I stroked my nose with (I got very upset if it was ever washed - it was a blanket on a doll's bed before it became my comforter). I also sucked my left thumb until I was 14 years old. I only stopped because I was going on a geography field trip and had to sleep in a dormitory. I had to practise getting to sleep without sucking my thumb for a week. I managed it eventually. 

When I got older (10+)  I used to read under the bedclothes with a torch when I could not sleep. I had to do this because the neighbour opposite told my mum if she saw my bedroom light on in the night. Then, when I got a transistor radio one Christmas, I started listening to Radio 4 and the BBC World Service late at night. The Cold War was happening then, so some of the news stories made my insomnia and anxiety worse! I still love the theme from the shipping forecast which used to come on just before Radio 4 closed down for the night. Then I'd hear the theme for the BBC World Service which was totally brilliant and started: "This is London..." (I've just found it on YouTube and listened to it again!). 

This is all ancient history - 50+ years ago now... These days when I can't sleep I still read or listen to the radio or turn on my iPad, which is fantastic.

Good luck with your project, it sounds really interesting!  

Rose 

Children
No Data