Advice- Negative opinions of other family members.

My son is six, we recently got diagnosis of him being on the mild end of the spectrum - for us i am so glad of the relief. At the moment he doesn't need help at school, as he is academically advance compared to his peers, however in a few years he may need help with the social side of life.

Both sets of grandparents have completely rebuffed what has been reported, and my sister in law has said the report is just any six year old.

Thing is he is our only son, we chose not to have another as we found he was more demanding, he constantly counted from before the age of two, his counting was sometimes the only way to calm him down or get him to follow a task. 

He doesn't role pay or play a lot with toys, he reads and writes the majority of the time.

I can't believe that they aren't supporting us, all i have done is the best for my son and to get him help he might need. My husband is with me on this, and says that they are not with our son for days like we are. 

I like to add one set of grandparents live in another county to us, and the other set can't have him stay at theirs has he takes a long time to settle for bed and then is up at 5am! 

Parents Reply Children
  • Do you believe that they understand autism at all? Or just have preconceived ideas? 

It may be that they have negative preconceptions about ASC or have just gone ostrich and in denial that their grandson is anything but “perfect”. Maybe they don’t know how to help or what they should do. Maybe they can’t see that you’re struggling. 

What autism is, how it presents itself and what to expect are all big things and can totally recognise your desire for those to who love him to best understand him so that he can be best supported and thus have the best opportunity to thrive 

This might help. https://www.autismspeaks.org/sites/default/files/a_grandparents_guide_to_autism.pdf