Why Advertising Falls Flat in Individuals With Autism

I have just finished reading this interesting article on the Psychology Today website.

A new study has found that people on the autism spectrum 'may be impervious to misleading marketing compared to the rest of us'.

During various discussions over the years I have noticed advertising has more of an impact on neurotypical people than myself, however, as I do not know anyone else on the spectrum I was never sure whether that accounted for the difference.

I subscribe to the Psychology Today autism RSS feed and find there are some very interesting articles posted.

Parents
  • Love it!....I think for me as advertising represents such over exaggerated and idealistic views of human existence (sic) it just makes even more remote and alien from my own life perspective that I just switch off....can't relate to it at alll.....and it is so far away from where I sit that I chose not to even try to relate or engage with it! 

For example....why would I want to buy tampons, when I don't even like roller skating! Lol

• Bill Hicks has a good line on marketing men Slight smile

I wonder who the bright spark was who thought a good name for pile ointment would be 'Anusol'.

• I'd buy the existential mix and the re-mix on twelve inch white vinyl.  Always wanted to be able to purchase gorms too.

• Wow,

having just gone through this whole thread I think I need some caffeine lol. All the examples are amazing / terrible and everything in between! And loving the space / physics tangent too! I sense a touch of the Brian Cox in you Tom Slight smile

I do wonder if the secret of selling something boring is to give it such a stupid name, people buy one just to show other people, though now we all have a camera in our pockets in our phones we no longer have to buy the silly named products.

Also, noticing your comment Elephant:

. said:
    And how do they get something with the diameter of 100,000 light years into the shop in the first place
    - Its simple, you just need a Tardis, or know a good Dr.

• I preferred the re-mix....,,,lol

p.s. Coffee has officially kicked in!

• When I worked in wholefoods, we used to sell all sorts of bags of mixes.  Trail Mix, Bombay Mix, etc.  In a meeting one day, the boss was trying to think of a new mix we could make up.  I suggested 'Existential Mix'.  A completely empty bag!  It wouldn't cost us much to produce, and I thought it would be a good seller considering some of the customers we had Ghost

• Lol.....transportation costs must have been very low....can't eat warps....they give me indigestion....

Reply Children
No Data