Why Advertising Falls Flat in Individuals With Autism

I have just finished reading this interesting article on the Psychology Today website.

A new study has found that people on the autism spectrum 'may be impervious to misleading marketing compared to the rest of us'.

During various discussions over the years I have noticed advertising has more of an impact on neurotypical people than myself, however, as I do not know anyone else on the spectrum I was never sure whether that accounted for the difference.

I subscribe to the Psychology Today autism RSS feed and find there are some very interesting articles posted.

Parents Reply Children
  • I'd buy the existential mix and the re-mix on twelve inch white vinyl.  Always wanted to be able to purchase gorms too.

• Wow,

having just gone through this whole thread I think I need some caffeine lol. All the examples are amazing / terrible and everything in between! And loving the space / physics tangent too! I sense a touch of the Brian Cox in you Tom Slight smile

I do wonder if the secret of selling something boring is to give it such a stupid name, people buy one just to show other people, though now we all have a camera in our pockets in our phones we no longer have to buy the silly named products.

Also, noticing your comment Elephant:

. said:
    And how do they get something with the diameter of 100,000 light years into the shop in the first place
    - Its simple, you just need a Tardis, or know a good Dr.

• I preferred the re-mix....,,,lol

p.s. Coffee has officially kicked in!

• When I worked in wholefoods, we used to sell all sorts of bags of mixes.  Trail Mix, Bombay Mix, etc.  In a meeting one day, the boss was trying to think of a new mix we could make up.  I suggested 'Existential Mix'.  A completely empty bag!  It wouldn't cost us much to produce, and I thought it would be a good seller considering some of the customers we had Ghost

• Lol.....transportation costs must have been very low....can't eat warps....they give me indigestion....