Jehovah's Witnesses with ASD

Are there any / have you encountered any Jehovah's Witnesses with ASD?

Parents
  • Hi Longman

I think where it depends where on the spectrum people are as to how they might make their observations. There’s also the element of conditioning, those of us at the higher functioning end of the spectrum have learnt to conform to get on in life, we’ve learnt to mimic the required social skills, they aren’t innate, we don’t understand people or the required replies, we’ve just learnt a set of responses to give in situations that get us through those interactions. It’s the same with sensory issues, mine probably aren’t as severe as other peoples but I still notice the tap dripping in another room, the guy drumming on the table at the other side of a bar, my next-door neighbour on his cross trainer in his garage, the smells that no one else can smell (but I know are real because I’ve found the source) etc. I’ve never found them painful though which is perhaps the difference, they are there but I’ve trained myself to at least be able to get on with other things around them, or other methods like when I was working in an office where those things would stop me concentrating I’d put headphones in and play music to block them out, I often do the same out in public, going to the shops etc. I will almost always put headphones in to shut that part of the world out, even if I don’t put music on (in ear noise blocking one). In other situations, I’ve almost found it like strength training, the more I force myself to do something the more I’m able to tolerate it, I can go out and be “social” for a while although I do find this burns me out.

I think the point I’m trying to make is that with ASD being a spectrum we all experience it differently but there are ways of coping with things that whilst not having the ability to make us normal can help us get on in life and make it easier than it otherwise would be. I just feel that the option of doing nothing isn’t a choice I could or can make.

• Hi Longman

I think where it depends where on the spectrum people are as to how they might make their observations. There’s also the element of conditioning, those of us at the higher functioning end of the spectrum have learnt to conform to get on in life, we’ve learnt to mimic the required social skills, they aren’t innate, we don’t understand people or the required replies, we’ve just learnt a set of responses to give in situations that get us through those interactions. It’s the same with sensory issues, mine probably aren’t as severe as other peoples but I still notice the tap dripping in another room, the guy drumming on the table at the other side of a bar, my next-door neighbour on his cross trainer in his garage, the smells that no one else can smell (but I know are real because I’ve found the source) etc. I’ve never found them painful though which is perhaps the difference, they are there but I’ve trained myself to at least be able to get on with other things around them, or other methods like when I was working in an office where those things would stop me concentrating I’d put headphones in and play music to block them out, I often do the same out in public, going to the shops etc. I will almost always put headphones in to shut that part of the world out, even if I don’t put music on (in ear noise blocking one). In other situations, I’ve almost found it like strength training, the more I force myself to do something the more I’m able to tolerate it, I can go out and be “social” for a while although I do find this burns me out.

I think the point I’m trying to make is that with ASD being a spectrum we all experience it differently but there are ways of coping with things that whilst not having the ability to make us normal can help us get on in life and make it easier than it otherwise would be. I just feel that the option of doing nothing isn’t a choice I could or can make.

Children
No Data