Jehovah's Witnesses with ASD

Are there any / have you encountered any Jehovah's Witnesses with ASD?

• To make it very clear, I know Jehovah God is real and the only true living God, and the witnesses are his people.

With respect, how do you know that? Hundreds of other religions will claim the exact same thing also based on no evidence in the slightest. I can claim to know the real god is a tomato I bought from Tesco last week based on my Pomofocus religion I just invented 35 seconds ago. As a claim it makes no logical sense, but I'll back it anyway based on the state of mind that suits me right now.

• I grew up as a witness. Babtised around 15 years old. I'm disfellowshiped.. I have been 3 times. At 51 years of age now, I'm just learning I have ASD. To make it very clear, I know Jehovah God is real and the only true living God, and the witnesses are his people.

I'm an alcoholic and recently got sober. I quit smoking as well. I am working on coming back and get reinstated as a witness.

If anything, learning I have ASD has helped me a LOT to understand all the questions I've had about myself since I was a kid.

Jehovah's witnesses do not try to convert anyone as other religions do. Even being disfellowshiped 3 times now, the Elders, not even knowing I have ASD yet, still treat me with love and respect. No, they only seek to help others understand the truth for themselves. To encourage others to do honest research and make a well educated and spiritual decision to become babtised and then, in turn, help others to come to know Jehovah to.

I was disfellowshiped for alcohol abuse. It wasn't immediate. They went months of trying to help me with not drinking.

I was only disfellowshiped when at that point, I wasn't trying to quit my alcohol abuse. I wasn't following direction to benefit myself. Being disfellowshiped is actually a blessing. One, it keeps the congregation free of a bad influence I may have had on others, especially the young ones. But also, it was a blessing to me, because it gives me time to get my head straight and figure out what I want. No brain washing. This has helped me build a relationship with Jehovah. Jehovah does NOT abandon his people. Even if disfellowshiped. It's a disciplining from Him, as a loving father would do. I'm not cut off from Jehovah. Even with all my bad decisions and sins, I know he's been helping me anytime I've asked for it in prayer and even when I was incapable of asking. He knows who belongs to Him and He understands and always understood me better than even me understanding me.

With research in and around the Bible, and looking at the World Seen for 5 decades, I can tell you, it's very obvious that this is the truth. I wasn't forced to believe anything. I wasn't given a tradition to follow because others blindly follow it. I wasn't threatened with Hell. Every babtised witness became a witness because of a personal choice and because our loving creator drew them to HIm because He saw something in them. That's an honest heart.

ASD has caused a great many problems for me. It does tie in to my behaviours as a child and as an adult. However, having ASD is not an excuse to blatantly go against the wishes and requirements of God. I still have free will and free choice. When I lean on Jehovah to help me and forgive me when I do sin, He clearly, as night and day, stretches out His right hand to help me, even as disfellowshiped. He just wants to give me a chance to come to my senses and take His hand.

At times, I do see it as difficult. My ASD convinces me I have sinned too much or that time has just simply run out for me. But that couldn't be further from the truth. Jehovah is eager to give help, to strengthen, to give peace when all alone in a chaotic world. I only need to be honest with myself, pray honestly, I really try my best to do good, to do His will. When I make those efforts, Jehovah is very pleased and He makes that apparent by the help He gives. He sustains me. Jehovah understands ASD. He understands it's hard to pay attention for me, it's hard to deal with frustrations, it's hard dealing with social skills and looking at people in the eyes as it is uncomfortable. He has also known the loneliness I have felt as a child all the way to now. Jehovah is my best friend and my father. He doesn't expect perfection. He lovingly guides me back when I stray. He understands that even at age 51, I still have a hard time seeing a man in the mirror. Ultimately, it is Jehovah's adversary, the devil, who is the cause of all illness, calamity and hurt. The devil would want nothing more than for humans to just give up. I will not. Jehovah is my helper, and I will always lean on Him.

• I'm autistic, one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and proud to be both. God's organisation (Jehovah's Witnesses) has helped me to develop MANY abilities including Communication, Teaching, Public Speaking, Reading, Studying, and Working. If it wasn't for his organisation and people I wouldn't be alive today as this world we all currently live in rejected me many years ago (before I even become one of God's servants) and gave me scars that I'll carry with me until the end of it. Any autistic person will benefit greatly from Jehovah's people and his organisation. 

• I agree! I'm in the same boat with you and NAS79898, is it OL if I privately message about it?

• Thanks for all your replies! I'd like to message you because I am in a similar situation.

•  I am too a JW with ASD, thank you for defending our beliefs and giving such a balanced response ! 

• thanks for the feedback -  keeping knocking doors Slight smile u arent doing any harm

• Oh I am aware, I saw. I just wanted to reply just incase someone saw. I don’t really mind if no one replies. Even if no one reads it at least I tried :)

• Hi - welcome aboard - FYI - this is an old, dead thread from 4 years ago - most of the people you are answering are long gone so there are unlikely to be any replies.

• Ah we don’t believe in giving or taking blood because it’s what keeps us alive and functioning (which is why it’s seen to symbolise life). We do accept taking artificial blood though.

• Thank you very much, I really appreciate when non-witness ASDs do research. Thanks for defending my believes, as I am an ASD Witness myself. I greatly appreciate how you have gone out of your way to educate yourself on our beliefs. There are many misconceptions of us (like us being a cult & brain washing our members). We are actually genuinely really warm-hearted loving people, the elders (like a teacher) are just there to help & guide us, and they don’t view themselves above the rest. We are encouraged to do our own research to help build a firm foundation for our beliefs. It really hurts especially for me as I have ADHD, anxiety & ASD (which do not mix well) so I am like super super super super sensitive, and it hurts when people make accusations about us. In many countries we are persecuted and often imprisoned (sometimes killed) just because of what we believe in. Most witnesses would rather be executed than give up what they believe in (including me) not because we have been brainwashed but because we have strong built a strong foundation for our beliefs by doing independent research. I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate you sticking up for us. Not many people do. :)

• Thank you very much, I really appreciate when non-witness ASDs do research. Thanks for defending my believes, as I am an ASD Witness myself. I greatly appreciate how you have gone out of your way to educate yourself on our beliefs. There are many misconceptions of us (like us being a cult & brain washing our members). We are actually genuinely really warm-hearted loving people, the elders (like a teacher) are just there to help & guide us, and they don’t view themselves above the rest. We are encouraged to do our own research to help build a firm foundation for our beliefs. It really hurts especially for me as I have ADHD, anxiety & ASD (which do not mix well) so I am like super super super super sensitive, and it hurts when people make accusations about us. In many countries we are persecuted and often imprisoned (sometimes killed) just because of what we believe in. Most witnesses would rather be executed than give up what they believe in (including me) not because we have been brainwashed but because we have strong built a strong foundation for our beliefs by doing independent research. I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate you sticking up for us. Not many people do. :)

• I agree with everything your saying except for that we are naive and unwilling to research. As an ASD JW, I have spent years researching and backing up my beliefs on pure logic and scientific evidence. I can assure you most witnesses have done the same. We aren’t naive (Ik it appears that way). As an autistic myself, I am incredibly intelligent (don’t mean this to come off as boosting, just proving a point), so I need pure logic and research to understand something. In terms of education, yes we don’t all seek fur ty we education because we don’t want to seek a job that is gonna take up most our lives. Some of us do go to further education and we voluntarily work (without pay) at places we call ‘Bethel’. This is place where everyone is witnesses, working for free voluntarily. (We are provided with food, housing, etc.) The doctors work for free and are witnesses too. We are not pressured to do this, it’s our own choice. Hope this informs you. There is a lot more to us than what you see

• Sure, ASD JW here. We believe gods name is ‘Jehovah’ which is the English translation of the Hebrew word YHWH or Yahweh (I could paste the actual Hebrew characters). This name can be found in engraved in ancient Egyptian structures and written in many other ancient manuscripts. The name was often used in reference to god. This is why we call god Jehovah.

• Oh, I am extremely sorry about that. As an ASD Jehovah’s Witness, I would like to apologise on her behalf. I can assure you that she probably wasn’t trying to get into your head, we are actually really nice people. Neurotypical Witnesses also have misconceptions about autism just like any neurotypical. Personally, I was born into our religion, but as I grew up I question our beliefs. So I researched, after doing deep and extensive research about what we believed on both google and our own website, I found that our beliefs were actually very logical and there was a lot of scientific evidence to back them up. Hope this answers your question.

• I am a Witness with ASD. I would like to respond by saying that actually our religion really encourages researching things (I do it all the time) and we study things in incredible detail. I spend a lot of my time researching articles, which helps me build a firm foundation for my beliefs. I’ve found that our beliefs may make no sense at first, but once you do your research you will find our beliefs don’t actually conflict with scientific evidence and are actually very logical. Just thought that I should inform you, I totally understand why some people may think that. A lot of people misunderstand and misinterpret what we believe, which is why there is a lot of misconceptions about us. Hope this helps :)

• Ah I can understand that, I don’t like talking to strangers either. I struggle a lot when going door to door. Just a bit of advise, we write down the addresses of people who we assume are not home so that we can come back to those houses. So if you just answer and say that your not interested and we won’t bother you again

(please be kind when saying it though. It can be very traumatising when a householder screams at you. (speaking from personal experience) We are actually nice & considerate people, you don’t have to be mean to get us to leave just ask)

• You do realise you can just say that you’re not interested and we would go away. Also, I myself am a Witness and have ASD. I have done extensive research on both evolution & creation and I personally came to the conclusion that creation made more sense to me. (I am also more than capable of backing up my beliefs & so would most Witnesses) We don’t “attack” the weakest in the herd, we simply just want to share our beliefs with those who may be interested, if you’re not, just says so and we will leave you alone.

• If you have studied, and know more than they do.(Which is not hard) ~ They will leave you alone. Wolves attack the weakest in the herd.