How can I help my son to deal with his emotions?

My son is 6 years old with autism. He's quite a sensitive little boy and if something doesn't go his way or doesn't like something he will just cry...just like that! He more or less cries at school on a daily basis!

So much so that some of the children in his class call him a big fat baby or cryey baby.

Just wanted some advice on how I can help him.

Hairspray

Parents
  • Personally I wouldn't make him feel bad about crying, as this could make him interpret it as people not caring or understanding and further cause him stress which will make it worse. 

I've found 2 techniques useful with my daughter. 

1.  Distractions... Such as becoming really over enthusiastic about something completely different to catch their attention, or doing something to make them giggle etc

this seems to work for the easier occasions 

2. Get down to their level, solemn calm faced, ask patiently to understand, wait for them to explain, and then explain in gentlest way possible how they could think differently about it 

Doing step 2 frequently givels you the opportunity to help them to learn how to deal differently with situations

If they feel foolish, then they won't listen... and the words will be lost in their embarrassment or frustration 

I suppose in your situation when you're not there to do it and find out after what has happened and how he's been teased, you could do a variation of step 2,to talk through the scenario and listen to how he thinks ...identify how he could think differently about the situation, and give him alternatives that don't result in crying 

• Personally I wouldn't make him feel bad about crying, as this could make him interpret it as people not caring or understanding and further cause him stress which will make it worse. 

I've found 2 techniques useful with my daughter. 

1.  Distractions... Such as becoming really over enthusiastic about something completely different to catch their attention, or doing something to make them giggle etc

this seems to work for the easier occasions 

2. Get down to their level, solemn calm faced, ask patiently to understand, wait for them to explain, and then explain in gentlest way possible how they could think differently about it 

Doing step 2 frequently givels you the opportunity to help them to learn how to deal differently with situations

If they feel foolish, then they won't listen... and the words will be lost in their embarrassment or frustration 

I suppose in your situation when you're not there to do it and find out after what has happened and how he's been teased, you could do a variation of step 2,to talk through the scenario and listen to how he thinks ...identify how he could think differently about the situation, and give him alternatives that don't result in crying 

Children
No Data