How can I help my son to deal with his emotions?

My son is 6 years old with autism. He's quite a sensitive little boy and if something doesn't go his way or doesn't like something he will just cry...just like that! He more or less cries at school on a daily basis!

So much so that some of the children in his class call him a big fat baby or cryey baby.

Just wanted some advice on how I can help him.

Hairspray

Parents
  • Hi, I am not a parent myself, so not wholly sure I am qualified to comment, but, it seems to me that you could have a talk to one of the responsible adults in the class or group, and ask them to explain to the children that that is your son's way of dealing with things when they go wrong, and that it is wrong to laugh at someone who is more sensitive than them.

To be even-handed, you could also try to explain to your son that if he cries because things go wrong then people will laugh at him, and he will find it harder to fit in with his classmates. 

I think, perhaps, as he gets older he will learn ways to behave so he can fit in and not be bullied, it is something that all children have to go through, unfortunately. Not sure if I helped, but I hope I did.

• Hi, I am not a parent myself, so not wholly sure I am qualified to comment, but, it seems to me that you could have a talk to one of the responsible adults in the class or group, and ask them to explain to the children that that is your son's way of dealing with things when they go wrong, and that it is wrong to laugh at someone who is more sensitive than them.

To be even-handed, you could also try to explain to your son that if he cries because things go wrong then people will laugh at him, and he will find it harder to fit in with his classmates. 

I think, perhaps, as he gets older he will learn ways to behave so he can fit in and not be bullied, it is something that all children have to go through, unfortunately. Not sure if I helped, but I hope I did.

Children
No Data