tips on how to deal with psoriasis

I have some tips on how to deal with it, anyone have any? I’m not sure if psoriasis is linked with AS or Autism but I have heard from some it does.

I find food and stress have no big effect but the biggest one for me is harsh chemicals such as soaps. I have went to the doctor and he provided me with Alphosyl 2 in 1 shampoo and it is horrible, it burns my face so looked into others and I found Dead Sea Spa Magik Mineral Shampoo from holland and barrett it that stuff is amazing, I also use there sea salt but can get it in Tesco but it is dearer.

I have been provided a cream/soap called Dermol 500 by the doctor, which is very nice to use but don’t bother to use to wash your hair as it doesn’t spread as nicely as the Spa Magik Mineral Shampoo. I also buy coconut oil for my face it helps with appearance of flakes. You can buy it the good raw stuff at holland and barrett.

BUT! For any youngsters (or the older ones getting rid of grey hair) wanting to dye their hair you are taking a BIG risk! I dyed my hair around 2006 and my hair flared very badly and just now it has cleared on my scalp. I have been told about a natural dye called Hanna but can’t find no hairdressers that use the stuff. You can buy it also at holland and barrett but may find it cheaper elsewhere. You may need some confidence using it.

It may be a factor is any weight issues as you sweat it can have an affect (weight does not help tell me about it)

But remember natural is better (how I like my woman) avoid drugs or steroid creams that the doctor may provide (unless it’s extreme), I like tattoos but that too much of a risk.

Can anyone give me tips? I have it by my crouch area and attacks my privet area (a big downer as it’s very painful and sometimes nearly makes me scream in pain) weight related (sweating due to being chubby?)

I am going to try Dead Sea mud mask next and see how that is. And also this is a handy link (it’s funny too):

www.psoriasisblob.com/.../

• Hi Lost0ne, I've had psoriasis since I was 7 now I'm 47, you're right most of the time natural is best, but can I just add everyone has a trigger for it, sugar, alcohol, hormones etc. I did cut out sugar and alcohol but it did'nt do much, now I know its my hormones as It gets worse and regresses on a regular basis and when I was pregnant it disappeared altogether only to return with a vengeance after having my son.  One thing I am yet to try and I've heard great things about is Goats milk kefir a totally natural product, but don't use coal tar products long term as your're skin can get photo allergic, I used coal tar shampoo for years as a child and now my scalp can burn really easily in sunshine, just something to bear in mind.

• Well, I am dealing with psoriasis from last 11 years, I am 32 now. I have understood it that it is a lifelong condition and trust me, accepting this reality has helped me a lot in sort of overcoming the victim mindset. Now, I don't run behind the magical cures. Also, I have travelled some distance as far as giving up on the hiding tendency is concerned. Now, I don't feel ashamed or guilty that much. I must say that these mental transformations have helped me a lot in handling the stress factor and eventually, my psoriasis has improved as well. Now, I don't see myself in the mirror just to examine the number of lesions....and those occasional flare ups are not that traumatic anymore. In short, I have developed a sort of sporty attitude towards psoriasis in last 11 years.

But, yes, I do confess that I've made quite a bit efforts to sort out the physical matters as well. Only addressing the mental aspect is not enough. If your condition keeps on deteriorating with every passing day, then it is almost impossible to keep up the motivation level. 

In Dec 2013, after quitting my job, I decided to take a break of a few months to consider various future career options and at the same time, I decided to research myself over the Internet for some safe strategy for psoriasis management. I was told that immunosuppressants like methotraxate may damage the liver or impose other side effects in the long run. 

I found quite interesting and useful discussion forums like inspire and healing well. Also, I joined various groups on Facebook and I started making changes in my diet and lifestyle. Also, I would take fish oil regularly for omega 3 and I did consumed vitamin d3 for almost one year after discovering that I was severely deficient in it.

In diet, I would avoid gluten, dairy, nightshades and all the packaged junk foods. I have cut down significantly on foods with added sugar and salt. In replacement, I have decided to take raw fruits, vegetables and green juices as one of my three basic meals. Apart from that, I eat brown rice, low fat yogurt and allowed curries with veggies.

In lifestyle, I regularly workout 30 min a day. Sometimes, light gym and most of the times aerobics. Never skip meals, proper sleep and almost fixed meal timings.

Well, this is a very good link regarding diet modifications for psoriasis- www.psoriasisselfmanagement.com/.../

As far as external treatment is concerned, I take soaking baths with epsom salt (dead sea salt is quite costly here) once a week mostly on the weekends. For scalp, I use warm olive oil massage and aloe shampoo and virgin coconut oil as hair oil.

• Hi Lost0ne87,

Yes, I too suffer from psoriasis - it drives me mad with frustration sometimes!  The medication I take for it does help to a certain extent, but I regularly get flare-ups of the condition.

It's interesting that there might be a link between psoriasis and autism, I've never heard of that before.  I'm still waiting for a full assessment, so it might be worth mentioning that to the psychologist when I go.

I use various medications to try to control my condition (although they don't control it completely), such as shampoo and soap substitutes, and also take an antihistamine which really does seem to help keep the attacks to a minimum.  I had eczema as a baby, and this has carried through into the skin problems I have nowadays.

I should add that all these have been prescribed by my GP and are long term, so they might work for me but not for others.  As to the sweating, I was prescribed Glycopyrronium Bromide for excessive sweating, related to the skin condition, and it does control it to some extent, though is not completely effective.  As with most medications, it's best to check with the GP.

I can't offer much more help, but I really do sympathize with you!

• By way I am not involved with holland and barrett, if you guys no where I can get it cheap tell me. it’s just its right by the door.