Finding a job

I've recently had all my benefits stopped and have been told I have to find a job. I haven't had a job in over 10 years and even just thinking about it makes me feel sick and anxious. I can't even bring myself to look at a job search website, let alone go to the job centre, go to interviews or......go to work!! What am I supposed to do? I have no money coming in at all now. I could in theory apply for job seekers allowance but I know I'd be kicked off of it almost straight away because I wouldn't be able to apply for all the jobs they tell me too. I'm feeling abandoned by the system and completely without help. Almost feel like I'm being punished for having ASD :(

Parents
  • grahame22 said:

Yeah I was on ESA and failed the assessment. I was diagnosed with ASD at the end of last year. I've been on ESA for several years but it was only when I told them I had ASD that I was suddenly cut off. I've appealed the dwp decision already and failed. Tribunal is a option although it feels pretty pointless. Dwp seems pretty adament that my ASD doesn't qualify me for ESA. 

This is crazy.  I've never heard of anyone being kicked off of ESA for having a diagnosis of what is (I don't like to use the term, but it's how they would regard it) a 'disability'.

Did they give you the full reason?  And if they're saying that you no longer qualify, did they suggest any alternatives for you?  They can't just abandon you with nothing - though, knowing them, I wouldn't put it past them.

I was on ESA for a couple of years following a suicidal breakdown.  This was before I had my diagnosis.  Then, I was signed off with 'depression and anxiety disorder'.  I failed my first assessment and took it to a tribunal.  There were two people on the panel - a legal person and a doctor.  The whole thing was over in 10 minutes.  They were very sympathetic to my case and reinstated my ESA at the higher rate.  They put me in the Work-Related Activity Group, so I had to look for work - but I was able to limit it to work that was suitable for me.  I then enrolled with the Shaw Trust, who ran a weekly Job Club in their local office.  I eventually got part-time work through them.  I'm now back to full-time, working in special needs care - which is a very congenial job for me, because I have such identification with the clients. 

I'll have a chat with some people I know who are more familiar with how ESA and other disability benefits work, then let you know as soon as I can what they say.  I'm sure someone else on here will have some suggestions, too.

Have you had a chat with Citizens' Advice?  Or maybe someone at the Job Centre could help you.  I've actually found them to be quite helpful in the past.

Above all, don't despair.  There has to be an answer to this.

Meantime, check this out:

www.autism.org.uk/.../appeals.aspx

• grahame22 said:

Yeah I was on ESA and failed the assessment. I was diagnosed with ASD at the end of last year. I've been on ESA for several years but it was only when I told them I had ASD that I was suddenly cut off. I've appealed the dwp decision already and failed. Tribunal is a option although it feels pretty pointless. Dwp seems pretty adament that my ASD doesn't qualify me for ESA. 

This is crazy.  I've never heard of anyone being kicked off of ESA for having a diagnosis of what is (I don't like to use the term, but it's how they would regard it) a 'disability'.

Did they give you the full reason?  And if they're saying that you no longer qualify, did they suggest any alternatives for you?  They can't just abandon you with nothing - though, knowing them, I wouldn't put it past them.

I was on ESA for a couple of years following a suicidal breakdown.  This was before I had my diagnosis.  Then, I was signed off with 'depression and anxiety disorder'.  I failed my first assessment and took it to a tribunal.  There were two people on the panel - a legal person and a doctor.  The whole thing was over in 10 minutes.  They were very sympathetic to my case and reinstated my ESA at the higher rate.  They put me in the Work-Related Activity Group, so I had to look for work - but I was able to limit it to work that was suitable for me.  I then enrolled with the Shaw Trust, who ran a weekly Job Club in their local office.  I eventually got part-time work through them.  I'm now back to full-time, working in special needs care - which is a very congenial job for me, because I have such identification with the clients. 

I'll have a chat with some people I know who are more familiar with how ESA and other disability benefits work, then let you know as soon as I can what they say.  I'm sure someone else on here will have some suggestions, too.

Have you had a chat with Citizens' Advice?  Or maybe someone at the Job Centre could help you.  I've actually found them to be quite helpful in the past.

Above all, don't despair.  There has to be an answer to this.

Meantime, check this out:

www.autism.org.uk/.../appeals.aspx

Children
No Data