Finding a job

I've recently had all my benefits stopped and have been told I have to find a job. I haven't had a job in over 10 years and even just thinking about it makes me feel sick and anxious. I can't even bring myself to look at a job search website, let alone go to the job centre, go to interviews or......go to work!! What am I supposed to do? I have no money coming in at all now. I could in theory apply for job seekers allowance but I know I'd be kicked off of it almost straight away because I wouldn't be able to apply for all the jobs they tell me too. I'm feeling abandoned by the system and completely without help. Almost feel like I'm being punished for having ASD :(

• Hi Graham,

I've had quite a mixed response from people I've asked.  Some say you should definitely go ahead with an appeal and (if necessary) a tribunal, whatever the DWP may be telling you.  They want people to give up and give in.  Others have suggested contacting welfare rights organisations, or an advocacy service for Asperger's (the society should be able to point you in the right direction).

One person suggested that you get hold of a copy of ESA Section 35 and ask your GP to sign it.  There's information on it here:

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/.../2955-regulation-35-2-b-is-now-the-main-route-into-esa-support-group

and check out Black Triangle here, who can provide you with the form for your GP to sign:

blacktrianglecampaign.org/.../

Hope this is of some help to you.

Tom

• Hi graham22,

From your opening post it appears to me that at the very least your levels of anxiety are a difficulty in finding suitable work. You need to get this recognised independently from your ASD. Do you know in your medical records there is mention of your problems with anxiety ?

If not, I would recommend seeing your GP and explaining to them how your anxiety is affecting you. You ASD may not be recognised by DWP as a reason for not working, but other medical conditions you have in combination with ASD as a whole will at least strengthen your case.

You are being failed by the system, personally I think the reason for this is widespread abuse of the benefits system which has been going on for decades but has become more widespread and got out of control. The government has made a stand against the abuse by tightening up the system, but has not protected or acted fairly for the genuine people who need help and clearly should receive help. I am just mentioning this because it resonates with your feelings you expressed in your opening post, your feeling are genuine.

I think organisations like The Shaw Trust and Citizens Advice would be good to reach out to get some assistant or advice. Mind is another organisation to consider.

Random

• grahame22 said:

I used to be in the work related activity group a few years ago, but the people I had to meet every week did nothing to help and found nothing for me. Yes I'm still eligable to take my esa case to tribunal, although I'm not feeling positive about that. DWP has made it very clear to me that ASD is not considered a reason not to work. Also I've read that tribunals can take a very long time, and I'm not really able to wait months and months with no money. 

PIP is something I'm going to check out tomorrow. Other than that I don't think there is any benefit I'd be entitled to

I had the same experience in the WRAG, which is why I went to the Shaw Trust.  I'd also advise that you contact your local MCCH, because they were also helpful.  They provided an advocate to be with me at one of the job-seeking sessions.

They're right in the sense that ASD is not considered a reason not to work - but that doesn't gainsay the fact that it is a 'disability' and therefore could limit the work you are able to do.

Yes, tribunals can take a while.  But if you refer your failed appeal to a tribunal, your ESA should be reinstated in the interim.  It was for me, anyway - and I don't think the rules have changed.

You might find it helpful to try one of the regional helplines.  I'm still waiting to hear from a friend who may have the info you need.  I'll let you know.

Check this link:

www.autism.org.uk/.../cid=51~aid=6.aspx

• I used to be in the work related activity group a few years ago, but the people I had to meet every week did nothing to help and found nothing for me. Yes I'm still eligable to take my esa case to tribunal, although I'm not feeling positive about that. DWP has made it very clear to me that ASD is not considered a reason not to work. Also I've read that tribunals can take a very long time, and I'm not really able to wait months and months with no money. 

PIP is something I'm going to check out tomorrow. Other than that I don't think there is any benefit I'd be entitled to

• grahame22 said:

The essence of what I was told is that although I have ASD, because I am still physically fit and able to understand commands and act on them, I am in theory capable of some work. They seem to have completely ignored or underplayed the severity of my anxiety. I guess they are techincally right, but the problem is it's likelly to take a very long time for me to find a job that is suitable, and in the mean time I'm left with absolutely no money. 

Yes I've been to citizens advice, who told me to go to the job centre and speak to a disability employment advisor. I did that and they said I should go to the St Loyes foundation. I went to them and they said they can try and help me but not until November. I went back to the job center and the only other suggestion they had was that I go on job seekers allowance, although I had it explained that this would not likelly work out well for me as I'd be kicked off of it if I didn't apply for every job they told me too. 

In principle I like the idea of having a job. I just have to find one that's going to be work with me, not against me. I know that's going to take a long time to find

Which is precisely why they should have put you in the Work-Related Activity Group, such as they did with me.  That way, you'd have the pressure off that you'd normally have on JSA.  It still doesn't make any sense.  They can't leave you stranded with nothing.  It's not as if you don't want to work - AND you have a certified diagnosis of a condition that could limit what you are able to do.

Have you researched other benefits?  Are you still eligible to appeal the decision?

• The essence of what I was told is that although I have ASD, because I am still physically fit and able to understand commands and act on them, I am in theory capable of some work. They seem to have completely ignored or underplayed the severity of my anxiety. I guess they are techincally right, but the problem is it's likelly to take a very long time for me to find a job that is suitable, and in the mean time I'm left with absolutely no money. 

Yes I've been to citizens advice, who told me to go to the job centre and speak to a disability employment advisor. I did that and they said I should go to the St Loyes foundation. I went to them and they said they can try and help me but not until November. I went back to the job center and the only other suggestion they had was that I go on job seekers allowance, although I had it explained that this would not likelly work out well for me as I'd be kicked off of it if I didn't apply for every job they told me too. 

In principle I like the idea of having a job. I just have to find one that's going to be work with me, not against me. I know that's going to take a long time to find

• grahame22 said:

Yeah I was on ESA and failed the assessment. I was diagnosed with ASD at the end of last year. I've been on ESA for several years but it was only when I told them I had ASD that I was suddenly cut off. I've appealed the dwp decision already and failed. Tribunal is a option although it feels pretty pointless. Dwp seems pretty adament that my ASD doesn't qualify me for ESA. 

This is crazy.  I've never heard of anyone being kicked off of ESA for having a diagnosis of what is (I don't like to use the term, but it's how they would regard it) a 'disability'.

Did they give you the full reason?  And if they're saying that you no longer qualify, did they suggest any alternatives for you?  They can't just abandon you with nothing - though, knowing them, I wouldn't put it past them.

I was on ESA for a couple of years following a suicidal breakdown.  This was before I had my diagnosis.  Then, I was signed off with 'depression and anxiety disorder'.  I failed my first assessment and took it to a tribunal.  There were two people on the panel - a legal person and a doctor.  The whole thing was over in 10 minutes.  They were very sympathetic to my case and reinstated my ESA at the higher rate.  They put me in the Work-Related Activity Group, so I had to look for work - but I was able to limit it to work that was suitable for me.  I then enrolled with the Shaw Trust, who ran a weekly Job Club in their local office.  I eventually got part-time work through them.  I'm now back to full-time, working in special needs care - which is a very congenial job for me, because I have such identification with the clients. 

I'll have a chat with some people I know who are more familiar with how ESA and other disability benefits work, then let you know as soon as I can what they say.  I'm sure someone else on here will have some suggestions, too.

Have you had a chat with Citizens' Advice?  Or maybe someone at the Job Centre could help you.  I've actually found them to be quite helpful in the past.

Above all, don't despair.  There has to be an answer to this.

Meantime, check this out:

www.autism.org.uk/.../appeals.aspx

• Yeah I was on ESA and failed the assessment. I was diagnosed with ASD at the end of last year. I've been on ESA for several years but it was only when I told them I had ASD that I was suddenly cut off. I've appealed the dwp decision already and failed. Tribunal is a option although it feels pretty pointless. Dwp seems pretty adament that my ASD doesn't qualify me for ESA. 

• I am no expert, but are you claiming Personal Independance Payment ?

If not, I would look in to applying for it now, if granted, they will back pay from start of your application.

Random

• Hi grahame22,

This is a dreadful situation.  Can I just ask - why were your benefits stopped?  Were you on ESA and failed a Work Capability Assessment?  If so, you can appeal, and your benefits will be reinstated.  If the appeal fails, you can take it to a tribunal - and your benefits will still be reinstated.

Do you have a diagnosis for ASD?

Tom