Shoe Frustration

I know there are others on here frustrated with buying clothes and shoes. Recently I have seen shoe sales, so thought I would do that difficult search for size 8, but when I ask for the wide option they only have size 4. 

It also seems that the latest fashion for lace ups is to have a zip down the side. I don't get that at all as I wear low shoes because I enjoy walking or need to walk somewhere in the rain. I can't imagine zips down the side would keep feet dry or be very comfortable. 

I long for the day when I once again find a pair of soft wide shoes. If I do I think I need to get a spare pair for when they wear out.

• Cosyfeet. I get from them. Wide, flat, feet with high instep.

• Clarks are best for wide shoes.

• My feet still rattle around and the heel grips come off to easily, I think I must have anti-adhesive feet or something.

• I have used self-adhesive suede heel-grips from time to time.

• I have high arches and instep too, I find to get something wide enough across my toes and ball of my foot means that the heel is to wide and they're like flip flops, I can wrap a pair of docs right around my ankle and cats, I can do up as tight as they go and just step out of them. Thats one of the reasons I like Moshulu as they're wide across the toes and narrower at the heels, they're a British company making shoes for British sized feet!

I did have some walking shoes with laces and a zip and the zip didn't leak and I was walking on very boggy ground all the time, the only time I got my feet wet was when I accidently stood in a puddle that went over the top of my boots.

• I take a wide size 8, I also have very high arches, which is an added problem. I have found the 'Airflex' range at M&S a generally good option. They are, I believe, an Australian make , so tend to be quite lightweight too. I have a pair of suede lace-ups that are hardly detectable when worn.

• Last month I got some slip on trainers, as I was fed up with having to tie laces which then kept coming undone. I found these in Primark in my size (7) for only £9.00 - they are available up to size 8, are also available in black, and are as comfortable as slippers! 

Unfortunately they are probably not that waterproof if you have to go out in heavy rain though Confused

• Yes, I always hated unstable shoes and wore flats or boots, luckily being so poor on account of no one employing me I generally had one pair of Polish army boots to my name!  Now I like walking sandals in summer (no encumbering smothery socks) and walking boots in winter, and Birkenstocks for slopping around at home.  And I knit my own socks to get the perfect fit. But everything I wear has to root me firmly to the ground.

• I have some of those zippy lace-up shoes, the zips don't leak but sometimes jam. There's always the option of ignoring the zips and just lacing them up as usual.

• Someone else who wears boots on the beach like me!! I look stupid! I don't care! Thanks for telling us that.

• I’m exactly the same with boots, my ankles feel like they are out of their joints in shoes and painful, last summer I was the only person walking on the beach in boots. I don’t own a pair of shoes, they are never wide enough. I suppose the bright side is that I can easily walk in snow!

• I've worn boots since the 90s. I often used to twist my ankle when walking, and so the boots help prevent that. 

Long before I was diagnosed, my wife would call them my summer boots and my winter boots (no difference, same boots. A joke).

And then I see this thread and I think... There's another example of being autistic that was always there in plain sight.

• I got shoes in Deichman, they are classic but instead of shoe laces they have an elastic. 

• crocs? Tevas (with socks for cool weather) work for me. the straps are adjustable and they come in wide.

• I get my shoes from Moshulu, they seem to have a good range of sizes and styles and altough expensive to buy are a good investment as they last so long. They also have a good and easy returns policy, a returns lable comes in the box and you just stick it back on the original packaging and hand it in at the post office and your money is returned within about a week. The other one I find for good walking shoes is Hotter.