Fun question from a food obsessive: what is your favourite sandwich filling?

If I did not have Asperger's and the problems I have, I should really have entered market food research. I have always been obsessed (in a good way!) with food, and like to ask people what their favourite sandwich filling is at the moment. I try to contain myself most of the time because I realise this is a random question, and want to appear as normal as possible. But as we are all a bit 'atypical' here, I don't think I need to worry that the question is strange Smile

So what are your favourite sandwich fillings?

What is your favourite brand of bread, and why?

I like cheese and tomato, fish salad, marmite salad, and houmous salad best.

My favourite bread is from the bakery counter at M and S, M and S wholemeal mini sub rolls, Allinson sliced bread, and seeded bread.

• I grew up with a real food obsessive, my mother!!!!  Who was in charge of the kitchen.  

Bread had to be the Prima brand, a bakery set up by WWII refugees from Poland/Ukraine.  This bread was available only in small continental food shops and cost around three times as much as typical English supermarket brands.

She insisted on the uncut loafs with proper hard crusts.  These were cut at home with a really sharp bread knife which we sharpened every few days.  

A typical slice of bread was more than twice the thickness of supermarket bread.  On the bread we used real butter put on very very thick or meat pate or cheese.  On top of that pork meat slices or bolied egg slices.

On days out at weekends, she made masses of sandwiches which we all carried with us.  As well as hot and cold drinks.  And being a food obsessive she INSISTED that all food and drink had to be prepared at home and carried with us.  We were never allowed to buy ready made sandwiches at our destination.  All food had to be made at home and carried with us.  No takeaways or restaurants.

Now....  I never make sandwiches or buy ready made ones.  When I can afford it I use a restaurant.

• My standard work sandwich is as follows (working from the bottom up):

Bread - needs to be a big slice, Jackson's or Black Sheep are good examples

Butter

Sliced meat - One quarter of a typical ~100g pack

Mustard or pickle/relish - alternate between the two each day

One whole pepper - sliced and positioned perpendicular the the direction of the sandwich halving cut

Baby spinach - about a handful

Sliced cheese

Sliced meat - another quarter of a pack

Butter

Bread

Once sliced in half, horizontally not diagonally, each half is tightly wrapped in cling film individually to preserve structural integrity.

I have many other designs, my best one probably being the system that uses an entire pack of ham to completely encase the salad filling so that it cannot fall out as you eat it (obviously, this design is never cut in half so that the ham pocket remains intact until it's eaten.

There is a reason for online name.

• Gravy on sandwiches is something that not many do!

This actually works. I put chicken and stuffing on instead of turkey though. I hate turkey. I hate friends too but this was something I saw and had to try, delicious. I don't really like dry food so I like a nice moist sandwich. Stovies are good on a sandwich too.

https://youtu.be/4H6Ux3l75Rc

The "Moistmaker" is that good!

• Greetings. (Interesting that this Four-Year Old Thread is revived this day...)

I usually buy sandwiches, cakes, pies, etc... only for the Filling, which is difficult on its own, to prepare and/or gain SMALL servings of. For myself that is Meats and raw Greens, in various Sauces or Dressings. I may be peckish for a Tomato or Turkey or Gravy, but not want a Family-Size amount. (Bread-Wise, I mostly eat Gluten-Free, lately...)

• There is something about tea and crisps that is very tasty when combined.

For a real treat, try vanilla ice cream and ready salted crisps together.  Well, I like it anyway!

• I make my own bread using a breadmaker.  That way I know wha t is in it.

About a year ago, I had not any dried milk as part of the ingredients.  Looking round I found a jar of Horlicks and thought I'd give that a try instead.  It worked perfectly, making a perfect loaf, and have used Horlicks ever since.  You can't detect the malt, and I don't put sugar in any more - just two heaped dessert spoons of Horlicks (with the flour, yeast, water and fat of course!).

Now what do I put into the bread.  I make to secret of the fact that I am a very picky eater and will not go anywhere near any smelly food with onions, strong spices, pickles or anything else like that.  What I put on bread is jam (blackcurrant or strawberry), or cheddar cheese and strawberry jam together (try it, it goes together extremely well).  I like a banana sandwich, but it has to be made at the point of eating.  And a chip butty.  Also shreddies and butter on the bread.

So there - perhaps not everyones idea of a perfect butty, but I know what I like!

• Hmmm...all time favourite of mine...seek it out if you are ever in St Ives.. is hot chicken, bacon, mayo and oozy melting mozzarella in a baguette from a pasty shop....yum!

• Love this topic as food is one of my special interests.

My favourite sandwich is probably Burgess seeded bread with houmous and beetroot.  Yum!!

• Chorizo or Stilton. One or the other. I've tried combining the two but it's too overpowering. Sometimes in a bagel but any decent (ie. not that plastic sliced stuff) bread will do very nicely.

• This made me smile.

I have three food related degrees, and today at work was pretty typical with several random questions about food related subjects in my inbox to sort out.

I teach health professional groups how to discuss and advise lifestyle changes and my courses always get highly rated because I focus on food rather than nutrients in the nutritional discussion.

I entered my first baking competition in the NZ version of the WI at age 5, was cooking for my parent's visitors from overseas at age 12 and won a highly commended award in a regional food competition against chefs age 17.

Food adventures include developing a wholegrain gluten free bread recipe to bake at home.

On sandwiches, I'm currently doing a run of cold meat, beetroot and carrot coleslaw and sweet chilli pickle on a heavy grain rye bread...but I'm hanging out for the first of my spring greens 

• Tuna.  Smiley

BTW, what do you mean by the term 'food obsessive?'

• Mince pie (Greggs) and tomato sauce.

Fried egg and Marmite

Corned beef and pickle

Cheesecake sandwich is nice too.

Pretty much anything that fits between slices of bread I've done it much to my wife's disgust. 

• My son isnt so much into eating food. infact if its a food hes particularly passionate about (like burgers) he sometimes wont eat it and we think this is because once its eaten its gone. Hes really into fruit and veg and school told us he named 14 fruit and veg. i couldnt even do that!

He loves pretend food too.

• Hi shopgirl,

When I was a child my mind was fixated on tuna, potatoes, quiche, and pork-pie. I did not eat them all the time of course, but whenever I was given the opportunity I went for it!.

I memorised what the other other kids had for lunch at school, and enjoyed reciting the name of the child, what they looked like, their birthday, and their lunch box contents to family members.

Whenever I went into a shop I would look at all the different sandwiches, tins, and so on, and would then recite them back to my mum.

I also enjoyed playing with pretend food.

• my son (nearly 4) is obsessed with food too. its nice to finally meet (sort of) someone else with the same obsessions. i was begining to think he was unique lol.

anyway my currant fav is a toasted tuna and sweetcorn melt.

:) x

• I enjoy a similar lunch, the one exception being, sandwich+crisps+ tea. There is something about tea and crisps that is very tasty when combined.

• Cheese salad sandwich or ham and mustard with white bread, a bag of crisp and tropical juice

Sandwich + crisps + juice = perfect

• Cheese salad sandwich or ham and mustard with white bread, a bag of crisp and tropical juice

Sandwich + crisps + juice = perfect

• Anil A - Mod said:

Skybird - lactose free cheese does seem to go a bit rubbery. Very disappointing, thought I'd finally understand all the fuss about cheese. 

At least I'm not the only one. When I told my mum, she looked at me as if I was mad.

I don't tend to mind it on pizza too much but I agree, it's a bit disappointing for sandwiches.

I tried soya cream cheese once. I absolutely hated it.

• Skybird - lactose free cheese does seem to go a bit rubbery. Very disappointing, thought I'd finally understand all the fuss about cheese.