Poll on organisational tools

Hello all autistic adults Slight smile

I got a post diagnosis course (unusual I know, BASS is great post diagnosis) and on it we discussed many ways of managing organisation and discovered most of us (all adults) used whiteboards, or occasionally flipcharts. The person running the group said that he found this was very common amongst autistic adults, and it is the case that all autistic adults I have met since, have a whiteboard. 

So I wanted to open it to the wider community. I'm accepting diagnosed and self diagnosed, but do ask that parents or partners of autistic people who are not autistic themselves don't use the main poll, feel free to comment below though!

This is just a bit of fun and not in any way official research or a good method of research. I also wanted to try making the poll

• I do write things on the back of my hand if I don't have something to immediately write it down. Also specific tasks like talking to someone while at the department, otherwise I leave the department without doing it. People don't usually find it too weird.

I also find that things on my phone are 'not real' so it doesn't work for me pretty much at all. 

• At my old apartment, I bought a roll of whiteboard sticker, which you just roll and stick the sheet of whiteboard onto a wall, and that was useful for things like groceries and other things to keep track of. 

I've also bought the magnetic drawing boards that kids usually have, to write notes on. They're also waterproof, so if one is hanging in the shower, it's easy to write a few notes that come to mind. It's hard to find waterproof paper, and that's more of a specialty item.

I also have a battery-operated writing pad, that is similar to the magnetic drawing board, but it's easier to make out the words that I'm writing. 

I have a wall that has important things just taped up there, so that I don't lose them on my desk and in my clutter, which I always seem to have a bad habit of creating, because I always have several personal projects going on at once. 

My kitchen used to have a magnetic notepad stuck on the fridge door, for groceries, but the notepad had fallen off, and I haven't been upkeeping the groceries very well since that has happened.

I have a small paper notebook and pen in my pocket to jot down a few things from time to time. There are a few naysayers that dislike seeing me write down notes though, usually the condescending type, but I don't care, I write the notes anyways.

I've tried using apps and digital folders, but it has never worked for me very well, because it just ends up a mess, and I always change my mind about how I want things organized, and forgot how I organized them before. Everything in digital folders just looks too similar to each other. It's just never worked in the long run. I can remember notebooks I've written in years ago, but I always forgot what I have on my computer. 

I also wish that I had notes on my wrist so that I could study things if I have a brief moment or two to do so, but it'll look too weird, and I've never managed to make that happen. 

• Word documents can have their place. I usually use my computers 'post it note' app to make to do lists for specific projects, and then integrate it into my other tools later.

But I can totally see how it would get overwhelming. Hopefully it's better than having nothing

Unfortunately, as far as my brain is concerned, "If it's not written down, it doesn't happen" so it's a necessity. 

• Yeah answers that are outside my options were very much expected, it is why I added the other option. I also use multiple options for different categories.

It sounds like you've got a good set of systems.

• Lists on my computer, just in a word processor file. I sometimes use a paper list, but I have the annoying tendency to lose them. I don't always remember to check or update the list either. I nearly clicked 'organisation? what's that?' as I am a long way from being organised.

I have one file where I write the date and try to keep it updated for what I did and what I have to do. Then another file where I write lists and notes and drafts of emails, I sometimes delete things from there when they are done but more often leave them. It annoys me when my list is too long to see on one page of the laptop screen, or to fit on one bit of paper, so I also sometimes have a master list of categories and sub-lists to break things down into steps. But the problem with breaking things down into small manageable steps is that there are fifty trillion things on the list and i get just as overwhelmed as when there are only a few things but they are too big...

• I find this really interesting and I love the idea behind this poll. However - and this is probably very autistic of me, and I apologise if it seems that I'm not entering into the spirit of this poll (which is not my intention) - I'm finding that I really can't answer the question as it's been asked. Cold sweat

I frequently use several different organisational methods for different purposes. And I'm finding, as I try to join in, that I just can't isolate any single one of them that I could say I use the most frequently or find the most effective. I'm afraid the question has thrown my mind into a panic! JoyBlush

On that basis, I've answered "Other" - so sorry!

For example, I feel that I rely equally on:

• Apps combined with a paper checklist for taking and recording my various medications throughout the day (both tools being equally important).
    • Paper notebooks (different ones for different subject areas) for preparing for (eg scripting) and recording all important conversations, whether by phone or in person.
    • Apps (more than one) for managing my diary and important, scheduled, "to-do" activities.
    • Paper lists for helping me to remember, plan and check off my current tasks.

I did have a large whiteboard, but the idea of using it exceeded my ability to use it reliably Slight smile I also didn't like having all of my to-do items on show to anyone who might see it. I took it to the recycling centre in the end!