Autism diagnosis

I have been a self diagnosed autistic for a good 3-4 years now and have found recently that as an adult I am starting to struggle with things more and my symptoms have intensified. Despite many internal battles, I have completed the AQ-10 and have scheduled an appointment with my doctor this week to ask for a referral. 

I am really worried about this appointment as talking about it myself is something I find very challenging. Does anyone have an advice of how these initial appointments go with your GP? I have no idea what they are going to say and ask. I’m trying really hard to make sure I attend the appointment and try to get the answers I need. I’ve tried in the past and have cancelled as too scared/overwhelmed by the process. 

Parents
  • I find a run up to an appointment like that is always difficult. I've learned that I need to tell the GP (or other professional) at the beginning that I'm struggling with it, feeling overwhelmed by the demands of the appointment, and may need time to process questions before I can give answers. Personally I find that can relieve the pressure on me a little.

• I find a run up to an appointment like that is always difficult. I've learned that I need to tell the GP (or other professional) at the beginning that I'm struggling with it, feeling overwhelmed by the demands of the appointment, and may need time to process questions before I can give answers. Personally I find that can relieve the pressure on me a little.

Children
No Data