CD's versus Vinyl Fight-club deathmatch thread. Come and have a go if you think you're tough enough!

I've seen so many people here who really do like to have a go at "winning an argument" and also a fair few people who really like to "cast aspersions" and use inflammatory language.

Clearly there''s a need for some of us to indulge in such behaviour, YET no -one seems to enjoy it really! 

Let's mix it up a bit, then shall we?

As a public service to this community I am willing to invest my time in pontless argument to establish once and for all the superiority of CD over vinyl, and I offer to pepper any refutation you might foolishly try to make with inflammatory terms, and descriptions of why you must be mentally weak etc, in your frankly incomprehnsible and misguided affection for those unformed plastic flowerpots you call "records". 

I seek a humourus bunfight where the object is to hurl as much metaphorical pastry at one's opponents simply for for the fun of it, and to see who can be the most creatively passionate in the pursuit of their cause.  

I know there's at least one of you "diamond wasters" out there...

The more sensitive of you, can dip your toe into a fiercy fought argument and get a strong reply back maybe, SAFELY in the knowledge that the issue does not matter, the insult is being applied for style and humour points, and if it's me, you might learn some useless techie stuff about how it all works...

BIlly managed to get a good thread going where people were able to discuss things reasonably, I fancy a go at making a good thread where people discuss thinsg UN-Reasonably. 

I believe the Neurotypicals call this sort of thing, "Banter" and I've found it pleasurable with people I can trust not to actually mean it.

Obviously it's a "trust excercise" which relies on GOOD NATURE and building understanding. 

Who knows, at the end of it I might learn something about vinyl that I don't know.

I do know I literally started disposing of mine after a single listen of "Dark side of the Moon" on a CD walkman because  of SO MANY reasons... 

Let the game begin! (or not). 

Parents
  • I'm for vinyl on the basis that it does not degrade with age anywhere near as much as a CD does.

I had numerous CDs that started having problems playing after 12 years (stored in the CD case, out of sunlight) as the substrate broke down.

If records are given the same care then they have a lifespan of easily 10 times longer.

Lets not even get into the cover artwork either - that just brings vinyl to a whole higher plane.

• (I secretly agree, but the coin gods chose me a side). I've had records warp in summer, even past the wobbly pitch stage and into throwing the needle and scratching the record stage.

• I've had records warp in summer

Whoa, you didn't store them flat with something on top? The coin gods are punishing you for this now with the folly of supporting the vanity mirrors of music.

2 Hail Marys and 1 wikipedia article for you! ( https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Warped-Vinyl-Record )

• how do you ruin a cd in 12 years?? 

These were prodiminantly store bought CDs that got a lot of use in both my Denon CD player and a laptop CD drive I had in the early 2000's - just before the advent of MP3 players.

They were stored in their cases for tha vast majority of the time but were decanted into slip cases (hold 100 CDs) for when I was sent overseas to work so I had a library of music to listen to.

It could have been the surfaces they were in contact with, the laptop CD drive (it did sound clunky, but this was like 2003) or the CDs suffering from bronzing.

Either way it resulted in the CDs skipping of stopping playing.

In the end I downloaded MP3 versions of the albums, gave away my HiFi separates and went fully mobile with an external hard disk and 1Gb memory card in an early MP3 player. So much more practical for my needs.

In the end I threw hundreds of CDs in the bin as nobody wanted them - a shame but there were no charity shops where I lived at the time.

• O.K. ya got my interest, how can you manage to f*$k up a CD in storage in a mere 12 years??

I heard a rumour that they were going for 200 years under optimum conditions...

EDIT> I may have actually pulled the 200 years out of thin air, (or somewhere much darker) but I've presented it as if it MIGHT be a fact.

This is advanced "pointless arguing" skills, and there are more fully worked examples elsewhere in the political and other threads. I'm sure Iain isn't fooled by it, but "pointless argument" is always about "winning the audience" in the minds of it's players, whilst often we are actually just "making a spectacle".. 

But, really, how do you ruin a cd in 12 years?? 

• O.K. ya got my interest, how can you manage to f*$k up a CD in storage in a mere 12 years??

I heard a rumour that they were going for 200 years under optimum conditions...

EDIT> I may have actually pulled the 200 years out of thin air, (or somewhere much darker) but I've presented it as if it MIGHT be a fact.

This is advanced "pointless arguing" skills, and there are more fully worked examples elsewhere in the political and other threads. I'm sure Iain isn't fooled by it, but "pointless argument" is always about "winning the audience" in the minds of it's players, whilst often we are actually just "making a spectacle".. 

But, really, how do you ruin a cd in 12 years?? 

Children
  • how do you ruin a cd in 12 years?? 

These were prodiminantly store bought CDs that got a lot of use in both my Denon CD player and a laptop CD drive I had in the early 2000's - just before the advent of MP3 players.

They were stored in their cases for tha vast majority of the time but were decanted into slip cases (hold 100 CDs) for when I was sent overseas to work so I had a library of music to listen to.

It could have been the surfaces they were in contact with, the laptop CD drive (it did sound clunky, but this was like 2003) or the CDs suffering from bronzing.

Either way it resulted in the CDs skipping of stopping playing.

In the end I downloaded MP3 versions of the albums, gave away my HiFi separates and went fully mobile with an external hard disk and 1Gb memory card in an early MP3 player. So much more practical for my needs.

In the end I threw hundreds of CDs in the bin as nobody wanted them - a shame but there were no charity shops where I lived at the time.