This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Constitutional reforms?

Do we need them, I think we do, I don't like the first past the post system and would like to see some form of PR,although I'm not sure which version yet.

I did find something I agreed with Jacob Rees Mogg about, not something that happens often, that a new PM should hold an election to get a mandate from the country. We had Truss and Sunak foisted on us, it's all very well sayiing that in a party system you vote for a party not a person, but when a new PM comes in mid term, they seem to rip up the manifesto of the previous incumbant and do something completely different that no body asked for. The idea that a small percentage of the population, those who are Tory Party members can foist their will on he rest of us is ridiculous, of course it could happen with any party, but it has happened with the Tories more recently and often.

I think reshuffles should be kept to a minimum too, ministers need about a year to really get to grips with their brief and start making changes, many are in place for about this time or less before being replaced by someone who has to go through the same process all over again. It dosen't lead to coherant management or policy.

Id like to see the second chamber reformed but I'm not sure how, I don't like all the superannuated politicians, crony's and hereditary peers, but whats the alternative? WOuld we have the same lot of failed politicians seeking reelection to the second chamber, would we end up with a situation like America often does, where govermnet grinds to a halt because what one house does the other blocks?

I'm a reluctant royalist, I dont' like the idea of kings and queens, but I like the idea of a President Blair or Johnson even less.

Parents
  • PR is not a good idea for us. It typically leads to coalitions, which is ok when national politics are less oppositional than ours,  but would be unworkable with our own - as we saw with the coalition of 2010. 

PR would have given Farage's fascist party around 60 seats - a terrifying idea. The FPTP system doesn't favour small parties,  a very good thing in this case. It can also give us strong government, which is what the electorate hoped for in 2019, and what I hope we'll get now. 

As for needing an election if the governing party changes leader, we don't, because we vote for a party and not a person. Change of leader is a party matter. Usually it goes to the memberships, which is how we as individuals can have a say. 

• We would like to remind you of Rule 5: 

Be nice to one another and enjoy chatting with others. We encourage conversation and respectful debate; please be aware that individuals may give opinions which are not shared by other members. Insulting posts or comments making personal jibes will not be tolerated.   

• I think that this is unnecessary and inappropriate as was the same in the other thread (a new gov).

Just because a person is reported (see below) doesn't mean it was appropriate or fair.

• I think that this is unnecessary and inappropriate as was the same in the other thread (a new gov).

Just because a person is reported (see below) doesn't mean it was appropriate or fair.

Children
  • I agree Debbie, it does feel as though this site dosen't really like debate or anything even slightly contraversial. Whilst it's really nice not to have personal abuse and jibes I think it has to be acknowlegded that there are some people who are a sense of offence looking for somewhere to manifest and that theres really no safe topic of conversation because someone somewhere will feel offended.

Opinions are like assholes, everybodies got one!