Why are some people so horrible?

I saw in my city news letter today that a man had been jailed after torturing his dog.

Like why? What the hell would possess someone to do that?

A few years ago my sister was injured in a terrorist attack when she went to see that Ariana Grande concert.

I don't know why people are so evil. Whenever I see the news it's always depressing. I'm sure there's more good people in the world than bad but it's easy to forget that. 

Parents
  • I watched something disturbing on youtube which I can't describe on here due to the rules but basically a father hurt his daughter for having a toilet accident so badly that she didn't survive.  He eventually was caught up with and jailed for life but the things he did and what he did after make me feel sick.  I unfortunately have this urge to try to understand WHY this can happen and what you described too.  I do know from research that many individuals have no empathy or feelings so do acts like this as a way to try to get feelings.  There was something I read that I don't remember what it's called where people were experimented on to see if they would develop into abusive but it was all stopped due to ethical reasons.  I can't detail again what it was due to the forum rules.  It was sickening and upsetting - I don't know why I am so drawn to trying to work this one out...... :-/

• IIRC, correctly tyo are talking about the standford prisoners and guards experiment...

Be careful here TS, you are pushing at the boundary of what humans are REALLY like versus our most poular self delusions... It can be quite a shock to teh system when you work out what really makes us tick.

FWIW The whole point of a life framework like Christianity isn't to look down on other people as "nasty sinners" liek our opponents alledge, but to give it's adherents some tools to rise above our more basic natures.

• IIRC, correctly tyo are talking about the standford prisoners and guards experiment...

Be careful here TS, you are pushing at the boundary of what humans are REALLY like versus our most poular self delusions... It can be quite a shock to teh system when you work out what really makes us tick.

FWIW The whole point of a life framework like Christianity isn't to look down on other people as "nasty sinners" liek our opponents alledge, but to give it's adherents some tools to rise above our more basic natures.

Children
  • I notice that every time humans form a group there HAS to be a scapegoat in the group.

Someone who is in the group but held to be the exemplar that everyone has to be better than. Every time; School, football team, workplace, military (where it's REALLY obvious), village, family, it seems a universal basic human requirement.

The group will actually go to great lengths to preseve the "scapegoat" and limits the unpleasantness to tolerable levels, presumably so as not to have to select a new one from it's more respected or capable members. 

Until relatively recenlty, that used to be my customary role (Sometimes in more dynamic workplaces I was reserve scapegoat!) and whilst not glamourous or always pleasant, the role can still be played well and to one's advantage by a skilled and canny individual. 

Religion is a tool like a soldering iron, that can be used to effect a repair, or stab someone in the eye entirley dependent upon the nature of the person holding it.

As far as Christianity is concerned, the inquisition and crusades were artifacts of the people weilding it, and not really the product of Jesus's teaching. I personally feel I only need the instruction and examples contained in the single gospel of of matthew, and the prayer relationship I have with my creator, I ask for help to be a better part of the big plan, and I seem to get it. 

On a practical level, if there is a plan, a way things are designed then in order to allow us free will, the mechanism to prevent us excercising that free will, yet allow us to retain free will woudl have to be subtle and invisible to those of us who are unable to even conceive of there being a creation. Maybe such people seem to have a lot of "luck". 

As we get smarter (from my perspective, I don't expect many to agree with me!) or perhaps, "more able to perceve aspects or tendrils of the plan" when life suddenly seems to be getting "unexpectedly difficult" sometimes it's worth pondering am I supposed to be pursuing this course in my life? 

Of course, all this philosophising gets to be confusing after a while, and for me, quite tiring, and I need to take a rest from thinking and just do some mindless "acting". at such times I just act as "Christian" as I can manage, be as nice outwardly as I can, bite down on any anger and resentment I may be feeling and just do something useful, or, er, come and talk with my fellow 'spergs, aspies, Autists, etc...

• It was the one where electric shocks were involved.... I did read about the standford one too which is truly sickening.

I think it all depends on what situation someone is put in as to the outcome which none of us can really predict because of our self delusions.  I know if anyone hurt my daughter, I'd be going to prison that's for sure!

Religion is an interesting concept used for many different agendas I think.....