Anew government

Well that was a thumping majority, but I think a wide but shallow one. Reform did less well that exit polls predicted, for which I'm glad, but they have quite a high vote share. THe LibDems had a brilliant night.

A nice collection of Tory scalps for new MP's, Rees Mogg and Truss amoung them.

I stayed up until 3am and then had to go to bed, so I didn't see the big scalps taken, I'm tired today though.

It dosen't feel all unicorns and rainbow, frollicking fauns, and splashing mermaids, but I'm glad we've got some change, but it's a poisoned chalice for Starmer and gang, this country has so many problems in need of fixing. But I hope we have a stable government and not all this continual chopping and changing of PM and other ministers, I think part of the problems have been caused by so many reshuffles, ministers don't have time to get on top of their brief before they're moved on. That means any policy objectives they had are discarded by the successor, so nothing gets done and the rot sets deeper.

Parents Reply Children
  • Oh no please no Jeremy Corbyn has some unpleasant views and is a Marxist perhaps a vote of no confidence and we get Tom tugenhadt

• Corbyn replacing Starmer would be the death knell of Labour as a serious political party. I didn't vote for him as leader of the party in 2015, as I firmly believed he wasn't capable enough to do the job. I voted for Yvette Cooper instead. When he became leader I hoped against hope that he'd prove me wrong. I regarded him as an ineffectual but decent politician.  Over the course of time  he failed more and more to prove me wrong as to his leadership qualities. Despite that I voted Labour in both 2017 and 2019. It's his behaviour after being replaced as leader that has resulted in my thinking he's neither a good person or a good politician. Much of that centres round his  narcissistic refusal to denounce the atrocious behaviour of many of his most ardent supporters. That's not the behaviour of a decent person.

• it can happen, for those that dont know he can switch from independent to labour at any time and im not sure it incurs a local election for his area or not but he can switch any party at any time. then it can be this way.... but he will not do that, his views dont allign with labour, if anything hes more suited to the workers party of britain with his anti-nato pro-russia views... the public wont allow him to take us out of nato, it will leave us open to a direct invasion or nuclear bombing by russia without any defence or retribution. wed be humiliated if corbyn takes us out of nato like he wants to.

• I don't know if he can replace Starmer though. Corbyn is an independent now. In order to be the leader of Labour doesn't one need to be a Labour MP? 

Unless they accept him back into the party. 

What Corbyn says still stands true. The distribution of wealth needs to occur to fund society. Otherwise we won't grow.