CBD V Anti Depessants

My daughter has started a low dosage of Setraline.  She is only in the early stages and on a low dose.  She is 15 and is Neurodiverse.  She struggles at school with social interaction and is very unhappy a majority of the time.  We are not entirely comfortable with her taking medication but it’s got to the point where we have to do something to help her start to feel better.  I have been reading about the possible benefits of CBD oil and would like to know if this is an alternative worth considering.  Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Parents
  • In my experience and research, if she is autistic, dyslexic or divergent in ways that are socially disabling, there might be a potential Anti Depressants can be harmful. If she starts experiencing difficulty sleeping and higher anxiety, I would suggest to speak to the GP about taking her off and looking at GABA boosting supplements or diet. I take a nootropics blend with Lion's Mane which I would suggest before anything. But I also have a lot more control over my life and don't have to allow myself to be in situations with toxic behaviour. I can continue to learn at my pace. I've found ways to flourish according to the Self Determination Theory. 

CDB can help if she doesn't have an allergy (apparently 25% of the population will), but it can also lower immune function if taken for too long - however, I would always opt for this over Anti-depressants. Medical sativa has proven to be useful for executive function. I've taken it to aid with administrative tasks in the past. And executive function is needed for social skills so one can prioritise and organise while speaking and attempting to connect with others.

Autism and similar Differences including ADHD and Dyslexia share Monotropism and hyper sensitivity, which appear to be the result of lower GABA, the gut-brain axis, responsible inhibiting overload like a resistor in the human biology and aiding for gut health, regulating sleep, clarity and focus, and a great deal of other functions for well-being. Anti-Depressants all further lower GABA (which can be fine if it's not already too low) while anti anxiety medication will promote it. 

• I agree with your perspective entirely because as an individual I have experienced all of what you mention in terms of antidepressant use, diet monitoring and cbd use. I use very few medications because of sensitivity but am always on antihistamines due to severe allergies.  I did think about paying for a private immunologist to combat my allergies but am not sure I could foot the bill at the moment or if it would work....  Are we allowed to discuss what brand of supplement we take as I'd like to know what you are taking with Lion's Mane in it. :-)

• I'll add some links. I do get a brand from an overseas mycologist and am working with one of their researchers in Vancouver on this. 

Knowing how to research medical papers seems like something that isn't intuitive to most. But from experience, friends and family, I noticed a pattern of lower immune response directly in relation to CDB and weed - not everyone responds the same. But this lead to peeling through research on it and it seems to back up why it might be useful in situations where the immune system is out of control as well. In small doses it might not have as great of an affect. 

Anti-depressants are a whole other problem and practitioners are fully aware of the 'side effects'. There are companies trying to design ones which don't lower GABA, but the problem is our biology is a bit similar to an ecological dome. Offsetting a thing can drastically affect another. And the word 'depression' is misused greatly. But because drugs which lower stress and promote these inhibitors can be highly addictive and only accessible from a Private, they're not even thought about. A great many psychologists are against the use of antidepressants on the whole. From what I understand now about some of the fundamental biological differences of Autism, these should never be prescribed to autistics or ADHD'rs. 

As for functional mushrooms and nootropics -

If I look around online, it can be hard to tell which brands are better. I take a few comprehensive from Host Defence https://uk.iherb.com/pr/host-defense-host-defense-mushrooms-stamets-7-7-species-blend-7-oz-200-g/140084

And have a friend send this as they don't ship to the UK https://uk.iherb.com/pr/host-defense-mushrooms-mycommunity-120-capsules/21448

However, these gummies look like a good comprehensive one. And for teens, I might recommend half dose to start  https://www.uniquenootropics.com/products/super-blend-mushroom-gummies

This company also looks quite good https://www.chucklinggoat.co.uk/product/complete-mushroom-blend/?utm_medium=paid&utm_source=fb&utm_id=6535828965929&utm_content=6535828965729&utm_term=6535828966129&utm_campaign=6535828965929&fbclid=IwAR1uAxYAZbMAsDOqyNQpBdsg7cfUzk2LKt6ll4oMX9Yf1_lT9xB9nmcGSfQ

My son likes Feel Güd: https://feelgud.co.uk/products/mushroom-gummies?selling_plan=2842624193

Reply Children
No Data