Not finishing things

I never finish anything. 

Lol it's literally like it sounds. I start things and then I just abandon it. I started learning the guitar, stopped after a day. I write, either just for fun or working on a book or assignments...then I just stop.

I think I lose interest or mmaybe it's anxiety that it won't be any good? Anxiety that I'll fail?

Then just now I started making a sandwich and drink and stopped midway through no longer feeling interested in it. This causes me issues at times with self neglect because I don't eat and drink enough... and my school stuff goes unfinished.

Just curious really as to why I'm like this and if anyone else about this site can relate to it. I tell my family and they just stare at me. 

If it's something you do to let me know, would be nice if it's not just a me thing!BlushBlush

Parents
  • Well you finshed a post for us to comment on. That's a good way to start.

I would say that the fear of failure is a very valid fear that people have, which makes them have issues with finishing what they've started, because they already have a negative outcome that happens to them in their minds, and that takes away their motivation to keep going. 

Have you ever heard of "the growth mindset vs. the fixed mindset"?

The "fixed mindset" is constantly focused on the outcome, that it's either success or failure, and if it's failure, then they'll lose motivation to finish what they've started. They are very critical of every mistake they make. They may compare themselves to others a lot, as if they are competing with others, and lose motivation if they are not good enough. "The glass is half empty" to them. Perfectionists also have a fixed mindset, because they want things to be absolutely perfect, or else it's an absolute failure to them. 

A "growth mindset" is one that focuses on the process. They build upon the knowledge of what they already have, even if they don't have much knowledge to begin with, and just enjoy the process of learning and growing. They compare themselves to who they were yesterday, or maybe a week, month, or year before, and see other people as sources of motivation, rather than as competition, and they'll try to learn as much off of people as possible. "The glass of half full" for them, and they just gather more knowledge, skills, and experiences over time, always growing and learning.

I would recommend that you try and adopt the growth mindset in your life, and learn things for the enjoyment that it can provide to you in your life. 

But also, another completely different thought I had about your situation...

The lack of motivation to feed one's self, or to do things, coupled with anxiety, and maybe even depression, could be a chemical imbalance of the brain. Some people take antidepressants. Other people avoid certain foods that cause an inflammatory response in their body, that leads to digestive issues and/or mood issues. Certain drugs also have negative side effects on the body as well. And this happens if you absolutely cannot "feel" any ounce of motivation or enjoyment in life to an abnormal degree, then that might something to talk to a doctor about. 

• That's very insightful, unfortunately I seem to fit the fixed option, food for thought!

Reply Children
No Data