That feeling of not belonging/fitting in

I don't know whether it's because I'm not a pure autistic person, I also have severe mental illness, but I find it hard to fit in here. Others here seem to have no difficulty bonding with each other, and chatting like they've known each other for many years. That's a great social skill to have., but one I don't have. For want of a better phrase I'd say other posters  here are 'socially adept' in a way I'll never be. They lead far more high powered lives. 

They have/have had good careers . Have good academic qualifications. I never had a paid job, and only did a bit of voluntary work. My academic qualifications stopped at 6 O levels. I've never pursued further education due to bullying related trauma.  I have to have a lot of practical support because of poor adaptive functioning ability.

Parents
  • The open discourse here and lack of judgement are some of the best social qualities. But, I don't feel 'bonded' to anyone. It does make me happy to help others.

I've heard others say some of the same things you've communicated. I really hope to see better alternate schooling and even summer camps for Autistic and other ND kids someday. Something I'm actively discussing with academics about. 

• SUPERSTAR!!

What incredible good work you're doing, anything like that is so important to move things along.

I will say though, I'm not "bonded" to anyone here either.  There are some familiar names which pop up, but I don't have any "friends" here.  That's not to say that I wouldn't accept an offer from someone, but I have a strange relationship with the internet, I completely accept I'm talking to a real human being right now, but it's such a weird way to do things.

I have had best friends in life, but because I don't see them anymore, then they're no longer my friends.  I'm not sure what it is, but if I don't physically interact with someone, then they aren't real to me.

I would have had to qualify that statement in the past with "hey I know I'm weird, but...", yet now I know it's an element of Autism and the perception of human interactions, so I'm totally cool with it.

I have a daughter, ALL of her friends are online friends from all over the world - I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea how she manages it all, bizarre Joy

• SUPERSTAR!!

What incredible good work you're doing, anything like that is so important to move things along.

I will say though, I'm not "bonded" to anyone here either.  There are some familiar names which pop up, but I don't have any "friends" here.  That's not to say that I wouldn't accept an offer from someone, but I have a strange relationship with the internet, I completely accept I'm talking to a real human being right now, but it's such a weird way to do things.

I have had best friends in life, but because I don't see them anymore, then they're no longer my friends.  I'm not sure what it is, but if I don't physically interact with someone, then they aren't real to me.

I would have had to qualify that statement in the past with "hey I know I'm weird, but...", yet now I know it's an element of Autism and the perception of human interactions, so I'm totally cool with it.

I have a daughter, ALL of her friends are online friends from all over the world - I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea how she manages it all, bizarre Joy

Children
No Data