Disclosed my diagnosis to my parents

I was diagnosed Autistic 3 weeks ago and I’ve only told a handful of people, I’ve put off telling my parents because I thought they wouldn’t believe me and I was right. Today my dad came to my house and we were on about secrets and as you autistic people know, we can’t lie, so I told him I had a secret and so he badgered me to tell him and I said I wanted to tell him and my mum together, but he kept pushing me and in the end I told him, he asked me what made me autistic and I explained about my social awkwardness and he just said that I was quiet. He didn’t stay much after that, which I thought was weird, would have thought he’d want to ask me lots of questions, as he was leaving he looked at my pots that were piled up and said, I guess you are gonna use this as an excuse now for being messy. He left for home and I know he would have definitely told my mum and she hasn’t bothered to phone to discuss, which I’m not too happy about. This experience has made me doubt my diagnosis and has left me feeling flat

Parents
  • You've got the Moxie now! Wear it with pride. Coming out is always fraught with personal perils.

It is misinformation that breeds intolerance. If your folks will not embrace you for who you are you will have to face that with that same moxie.

They may be frightened of some perceived stigma attached to autism and that they may, themselves are "tainted" by association or in actuality.

I have had to let go of some family and other people who were close to me.  But it is worth while and will lead you to a healthier set of values and a new sense of self worth and determination.

Your folks will have to come around on their own time and in their way, if at all. That is not a river you can hold back or push.

BTW - we do not know what your father actually told your mother, exactly. You might try to reach out to her as an individual.

and - Oscar Wilde says "Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."  I tell myself this every morning and face the day with it.

• You've got the Moxie now! Wear it with pride. Coming out is always fraught with personal perils.

It is misinformation that breeds intolerance. If your folks will not embrace you for who you are you will have to face that with that same moxie.

They may be frightened of some perceived stigma attached to autism and that they may, themselves are "tainted" by association or in actuality.

I have had to let go of some family and other people who were close to me.  But it is worth while and will lead you to a healthier set of values and a new sense of self worth and determination.

Your folks will have to come around on their own time and in their way, if at all. That is not a river you can hold back or push.

BTW - we do not know what your father actually told your mother, exactly. You might try to reach out to her as an individual.

and - Oscar Wilde says "Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."  I tell myself this every morning and face the day with it.

Children
No Data