Meditation

Hi,

For a long time now I’ve been trying meditation to try to lower my anxiety and deal with the effects of ptsd, and also to improve my well being overall. However I have got to the point where I’m beginning to wonder if it can actually help me. I struggle so much to focus and to get my mind to calm and settle. I’m wondering if meditation is particularly difficult for autistic people.

Has anyone on here had much success with meditation? And if so - what kind of meditation practice did you use? I’d really appreciate some advice on this. Part of me feels that I might as well give up with it because all that’s happening now is that I feel like a failure for not benefiting from something that so many other people say is so wonderful. 

Parents
  • I can normally use a simple mental routine to focus and enter a meditative state but if I’m really wound up I struggle. In this case using a guided meditation usually works. There are many meditation apps that offer this. I think it’s the guiding voice that works for me. It gives me something more to latch on to. Maybe that would work for you. It’s also important to meditate regularly. Even for just 10 minutes a day. Leave it too long and I find it’s harder the next time. 

• I can normally use a simple mental routine to focus and enter a meditative state but if I’m really wound up I struggle. In this case using a guided meditation usually works. There are many meditation apps that offer this. I think it’s the guiding voice that works for me. It gives me something more to latch on to. Maybe that would work for you. It’s also important to meditate regularly. Even for just 10 minutes a day. Leave it too long and I find it’s harder the next time. 

Children
  • Hi Arise - thank you. Yes - I think you’re right - it’s important that it because part of my daily routine. I’m not great with discipline and routines (unlike a lot of autistic people I think). But I’m going to try and do this.